Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zrobbinsk5, Feb 25, 2001.

1. zrobbinsk5

zrobbinsk5 Registered Member

I put in a new Everstart battery yesterday and no problems, drove last night and all but i forgot to attach the power wire from a stereo amplifier. I did so this morning and then got in the truck. There was nothing, no dome light, nothing turned on with the key in the acc. position and no cranking. I then removed the amp power wire and just tried it normally again and there is nothing now. What did I do?

2. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

This morning before you hooked up the amp did the dome light etc work... If not check the water in the battery... My brother bought one the other day and they forgot to put water in it... Drove the car for a couple days and then it was dead... If it was working before then it sounds like some type of fuse may be blown... Good luck

3. zrobbinsk5

the water's good, and i rolled down my windows this morning, (im in texas, it's getting hot). im gonna go check on some fuses though, thanks.

4. Boondock

Boondock Registered Member

I experienced a somewhat similar problem about a month ago. I thought it was a charging problem with the alternator, turned out the field strength wire coming from the back of the alternator to the + terminal of the battery was split inside the nylon sheath. The copper part was split, but the covering was intact. Just thought I would throw that out in case you didn't think about wiring problems. Good luck with fixing it, hope it turns out well. Take care.

The only easy day was yesterday.
    Second place is a body bag.

5. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

A quick way to see if its the charging system or the battery is to get a jump start, pull the positive battery terminal off the battery while the motor is still running and see if the motor quits. Make sure you are in well ventillated area. If motor still runs it will most likely be the new battery, they sometimes come from the factory not working. To throw a wrench in the barrel, the alternator might still be the problem, it will put out enough power to keep the motor running but not charge the battery. Probably the new battery though.

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Was it your constant hot amp wire or your pow.antenna/on off switch wire. IIf you just hooked the constant hot wire to the battery and this happend, I would look for a loose connection at the battery-pole. It doesnt take much to drasticly reduce performance. Could also be you accidentaly broke a important wire when you went and got the power for the amp.
    Hope you figure it out.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com</A>

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

NO!!! DO NOT DO THAT TEST... it spikes all the elctrics in the vehicle as well as his amp and stereo... bad. Even worse on a computer controled vehicle. If you want to see if the alt is working go buy a multimeter... cheap ones can be had for $20.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would first check the voltage in the battery... next I would check for a draw one the battery by conecting a test light or multi metere between the groung cable and the ground post ofn the battery with the positive hooked up...

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

9. ROCKBUGGYK5

ROCKBUGGYK5 1/2 ton status

I HAD THE SAME PROB I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT U NEED TO DO..... GO DOWN TO THE GAS STATION WITH A JERRY CAN FILL IT UP.... THEN HEAD BACK HOME DUMP IT ON YOUR BLAZER THEN THROW A MATCH ON IT..... THATS THE BEST WAY TO TEST YOUR BATTERY LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT

ROCKBUGGY K5 38S LOCKED AND CHOPPED

10. zrobbinsk5

hey thanks man but i tried that this morning already, ive still got no power.

11. ROCKBUGGYK5

ohh if that didnt work try ditchn the ghetto subs and amp and get some real acceseries such as lockers and gears and lifts (and narrowing jobs) that will certainly take care of the prob
    ur blazer is sick of being stock thats why he wont start he wants to be cut up

12. zrobbinsk5

hey man the amp is running kenwood 6x9's not ghetto subs. and chevrolet cut out the middle man on that narrowing job back in the 80's with the advent of the S10.

13. ROCKBUGGYK5

im just messing with ya man ive got subs in my daily driver, just getn ya back for teririzing my last post, i saw this and couldent refuse, my blazer is actually turning out pretty cool, i wouldent be suprised if you liked it, its pretty unique...
    good luck with your battery on a seriouse note thanks
    adam

14. zrobbinsk5

hey thanks man no prob.