Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery Question.... (Optima)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74BBPowerHouse, Apr 28, 2007.

1. 74BBPowerHouse

74BBPowerHouse Registered Member

I have a built big block. Ive burned up two stock starters because of heat. So i went and bought a low geared starter. Then bought a new red top optima. Seeing as how those low geared starters take less energy I figured a red top optima would be plenty. Well for some reason it not. Would it be a wise idea to move up to the deep cycle yellow top? That motor is just a pain in the as* to get cranked over. Its not all the way broke in and is still tight. Thanks

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I buy Autozone's Duralast batteries anymore. I've had 2 Red top Optima's and they both had a cell go bad when my truck sat for more than a month when I was in S. Korea in '04 and again last year while I was in Iraq. That was even with it being started once every few weeks or so. The Duralast I had as my second battery has outlasted 2 Optima's now.

Rick

3. Element

Element 1/2 ton status

The deep cycles, as I understand them from my car audio experience, really aren't designed to be used as starter batteries. The main advantage they have is that they can be completely recharged - and hold a charge - even if they're run damn near dead. Most of the car audio guys would use a red top as the starter/main battery, and the yellow top in the back as the "spare" for when they had to compete, and needed a battery that could be recharged time after time, even if they drained it almost completely.

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

If your having that many problems with heat it would be a good idea to put a good lined heat shield on the starter. I would also install a ford starter solenoid. I bet that would fix the majority of your problem if not all of it.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Deep cycle is not the cure. The red top is meant for momentary high-current draws, and frequent top-up charging.

You are cooking starters with exhaust heat and you want to change the battery?

IMO get a header/starter arrrangement that puts some more airspace between them. Add a heat shield and/or header wrap. Check your battery terminals to make sure they are clean and make good contact. Assess the size of battery cable you are using.

6. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

This will help alot I had the same problem and this fixed it!!!

Attached Files:

7. 74BBPowerHouse

Do you just need a heavy duty selenoid you can crank on all day? Ever since i got that motor built ive had a hell of a time trying to get it started each time. I dont drive it due to the blown up tranny now. But ive went through one red top and this one is not showing any promise for me. The heat issue is not a big deal now with the new starter.... Something about it being magnetic i guess? Its ment for the heat. But thanks for the input and if i have to go to the ford style selenoid im going to carry 2 extra..... i run into to many damn fords with bad selenoids!

8. Stormin

Stormin Registered Member

9. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

If this goes on cold and hot every since you put the motor in then there is another problem as well. Is your battery in the stock location? Did you make any other changes when you installed the engine as far as batt location, battery wires, etc.? What size battery cables are you using? Is the engine grounded to the frame and the battery grounded to the engine. And last but not least, in case it isn't an electrical issue, what is your base timming set at?

10. 74BBPowerHouse

Battery is in stock location and grounded to the motor which in turn is grounded to the frame. Stock battery cables not sure on the size?...... And as far as timing im in the water about that. I had a neighbor build up my motor and he set all that up. Its a 454 bored .30 over and has the stock hei dist. Sooo sorry i cant help on that end. But the timing kind of makes me think thats why a mother f*cker to get cranked over. If I have a battery charger hooker to it on engine boost it cranks it over at a good quick speed and takes little time to start up.

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Your timing sounds to far advanced IMO.

This fixed all my starter problems...............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Actually, it is plenty.
    You have other issues. Either cables or grounds in general, or an Alt that is going bad, too much timing, wrong timing. A redtop will turn over a 12 to 1 motor with no problems, it will surely run yours.

Is it a slow turn over that you are having? How long does the motor turn over before it fires? how is the clearance between the starter and the ring? What is your compression? What wires/cables are you running? Hot start only? The more info you can give, the better we will be able to resolve your problem.

13. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Ok, you need a ground strap ran between the engine and the frame. The motor is mounted on rubber motor mounts. Without the strap electricity with find the point of least resistance and ground out that way. The point of least resistance may very well be through the trans and ground to the diff through the driveshaft. Not one a bad ground but has ill effects on brass bushings, especially in automatic transmissions.

Second thing is to fix the timing (if it is off) If you don't have a timing light, take it to someone who does and have it set properly. Not only will it effect your starting, if it is detonating you could do a lot of damage to the engine internally.

You could also mark the distributer in place, loosen it and turn it clockwise approximately a 1/4" or so and see if that helps. If it helps but is still a little slow, turn it another 1/4" and try it again. If that starts to help then you know this is your problem. I personally would just go get a cheap timing light and set it so that you are sure the first time with no guess work.

14. 74BBPowerHouse

Compressiong is at 9.7:1. Ill try checkin the timing. I got to get some fuel in it other than the reg. gas thats in there. Thanks for the info. ill keep you posted.