Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HD, Sep 9, 2003.

1. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

Okay I got the cheepest battery I could find and now that I finily have my K5 running the starter is starting really slow and sometimes stops and the goes again. So the question is what number of cranking amps should I be looking for?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sounds more like timing /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I personally wouldn't run anyhting smaller than 850 CCAs(I have a 1000 CCAs right now), but I live in a little colder climate than you /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. In the middle of winter up here a less powerful battery just doesn't cut it.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd also check all your connections for corrison and tightness. A bad/dirty connection can cause these problems.

John

5. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally wouldn't run anyhting smaller than 850 CCAs(I have a 1000 CCAs right now), but I live in a little colder climate than you /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. In the middle of winter up here a less powerful battery just doesn't cut it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think I will go with the 1000 because I do plan to move back to WV someday and get out of the desert /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I run 2 880 CCA Optima redtops in series here in West Virginia and it works just fine. Come on back from CA, we could use a few more K5s and hillbillies around here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I run 2 880 CCA Optima redtops in series here in West Virginia and it works just fine. Come on back from CA, we could use a few more K5s and hillbillies around here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You understand running a pair of 12v batteries in series will give you 24v? Run those same batteries in parallel and you will get the same 12v but double the single batteries amperage. I doubt you are running in series as unless you converted your whole vehicle to 24v you would blow out every electrical component and light in the vehicle.

8. Can Can

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure that all M1008s and M1009s came from the factory with 24 volt systems.

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure that all M1008s and M1009s came from the factory with 24 volt systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh they must have changed from the older models then. My shop manual for '79 lists the diesel as a 12v system with 2 bats in parallel.

10. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    sounds more like timing /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How would that effect the starting?
    I did get a new battery, I got one with 1000 cranking amps (800 CCA), but it still does the same thing. Any help please /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. Can Can

If your timing is too far advanced, it's hard for the motor to turn over. Can you describe in detail what exactly the motor does and sounds like when you turn it over?

Have you checked your starter? Maybe it's on the way out.

12. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if it is just slightly advanced it will be hard to start like that when warm if its more advanced it will be hard to start all the time try backing the timing off a bit and see what it does then /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

Okay checked the timing and it was way off. So I pulled it back and now I don't have the tuff start anymore. Thank you for all of your help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif