Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

battery questions

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by u2slow, Nov 4, 2002.

1. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

For the last couple of weeks the temperature has dipped below zero (Celsius) over night, and the Burb has been getting tougher to start. This weekend it just wouldn't go anymore, and I dragged the batteries in for a charge.

Before I go out and get a couple of new 1000 cca's...

What do you guys run for batteries? Anything fancy? D4's? Deep cycle? Any tricks?

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have 2 Durabast 1000 ccas. What size are your current batteries? What condition are they in?

Did you try plugging the block heater in? It aids alot in cold starting.

Glow plugs working correctly? What kind of GPs do you have in there? Is the glow plug timer working correctly? If manual switched do you leave them on a bit longer since it is colder outside?

How is the starter? Good shape? Used alot? Are you letting it cool off between cranks? I think its after 15 sec of cranking a 3 min cool down time before trying again.

Is you cold advance switch and other things of that nature up to working order?

What size battery cable do you have running from your passenger side battery to the starter? 2 guage is good but I went to NAPA and got me an 0 cable. It seemed to help alot on those cold winter days. My batteries have top posts as well as side posts so I could use this cable. They said it was for welding!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif But after 2 sets of batteries and 2 starters I didn't want to have change it all again!!

Are you holding the accelerator down a bit further when you try to start it since it is colder outside, per the directions on the back of my drivers side visor?

Any questions?

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Get the highest amperage cranking battery you can get. DO NOT USE DEEP CYCLES. Simply put, deep cycles are meant to deliver a small amount of amps over a long period of time, while cranking battteries are meant to deliver a large amount of amps over a short period of time. Deep cycles are also designed to be completely drained and recharged, over and over.

Optima red top batteries are widely popular, but rather expensive. I've been using Everstart Extreme batteries from Wal-Mart with good success.

Casey

4. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

i use dual optima red tops in my diesel K-5 muahahahahahah

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Lets see what I can answer here...

Two Magnacharge 850cca's. Dunno how old - they're not dated, and I've had the truck for a month. Stock battery cables - whatever they are - looks like #1 or 2. I hooked them up a battery charger and plugged in the block heater overnight. Started instantly! Warmed up quick too, although it didn't make any difference when the batteries were low.

I'd been doing the crank 10 secs, wait 30 secs, as per the shop manual I have.

Starter looks recent, and with the strong start today - can't fault it for anything.

I do notice the glow-plugs cylcle for longer now that its colder. I checked out the controller, and it looks like it's been replaced recently (not gungy yet). I don't really want to do the manual override business until I put fresh GP's in.

Cold advance switch - hmmm... time to read that shop manual some more! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I've try the part-throttle in the future... my visor has no starting instructions /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Maybe I'll go shopping for some fatter cables. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks for the info guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Okay.... I found out the hard way what the problem was - after getting stranded /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Had to parallel up THREE 1000 cca's, fingers crossed, and it just barely spun fast enough to start. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Got home. Hauled out the starter. Damn thing looks like it came out of the box yesterday /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif There must be some pretty lame jobbers out there.

I put in a newer gear-reduction type this time. Wooooo... starts nice now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yep, there's a lot of bad starters out there. A few years ago, I bought a lifetime warranty Ultima reman starter for my '81 for a $100. It's a good starter, but I have to replace it every year (at no cost to me--under warranty). One of these days I'm going to try the GR starter. Do you like yours really well? Does it spin over really fast?

Casey

8. OFFRDK5

Three 1000cca batteries? Wow....thats alot of power!!

Glad you found your problem. I would also suggest while you are under the hood to change your battery connections to Dr. Lee's battery connections. Much more reliable.
    You can find them at http://www.thedieselpage.com

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The factory starter (at least my almost dead one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) can't hold a candle to the GR.

My estimation is 2x faster and has a distictive "vrooooom" as it spins down. Mine was from a '99 Savana 3500 van - cost me $200 CDN (tax incl.) w/4-month warranty from the boneyard.

Not cheap, but I can't deal with a starter that's going to pack it in yearly /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I searched as much of the diesel page I could and didn't find Dr. Lee's Battery connectors. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Could you help me a with this?

11. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

The Gear Reduction starter is THE NUTS for my 6.2. I've torture tested it by excessive cranking (for weeks) when I didn't have my air leak fixed /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The GR starter is still going strong. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Also, why you have your starter out, replace your battery cables with #2 or #1 cable.

It cost me a total of $60 to replace all of my cable with weld cable and ends, but DAMN, it cranks!!!

I noticed at least a 50% increase in cranking RPM's with no other changes!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I've try the part-throttle in the future... my visor has no starting instructions /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My instructions say +30deg.= Halfway down
    -30 deg. = Full throttle
    degrees are farenhieght

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, why you have your starter out, replace your battery cables with #2 or #1 cable.

It cost me a total of $60 to replace all of my cable with weld cable and ends, but DAMN, it cranks!!!

I noticed at least a 50% increase in cranking RPM's with no other changes!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, it's the first thing I do on every vehicle I get, not just Diesel, gassers too.
    Make a hell of a difference

15. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Where did you get your starter and what did it cost?

16. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

My '89 came factory with a GR starter. I'm not sure when GM started installing them on 6.2s. I also bought one on Ebay cheap, ($50) couldn't pass a good deal /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I would imagine they are kinda dear, new /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I paid $200 CDN for a good used one w/120 days warranty from a '99 Savana van.

I could probably have done better shopping around, but I wasn't about to turn the truck off that night without having a good one to put in /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. OFFRDK5

#2 or #1? Gee, I feel bad...I am runnning #0 (aut?) cables. Never had a problem with cranking over or melted batteries again!!!

19. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    #2 or #1? Gee, I feel bad...I am runnning #0 (aut?) cables. Never had a problem with cranking over or melted batteries again!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well when I was in the Middle east and I had problems with my starter, I got #4-0 but I also relocated my battery to inside so I added 4feet to the length, and still it was overkill.
    Now I use #1 for 3feet or less, #2 for 1foot, and only use the #0 when going 4-8feet.
    I would still use the #4-0 if I want to relocate to the rear becuase it will be closer to 12feet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif