Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery Rant!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skratch, Jan 28, 2004.

1. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

OK it got cold last night. Not the coldest we've seen yet this winter though, and I went out to start my van this morning and the batteies dead. Crap/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, it wasn't showing any signs of problems before this and all the lights were off inside overnight. So I say to heck with it I'll drive my car instead.
    WTF /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif the batteries dead in it too! I just drove it the other day, the battery is only a year old in it, and it has a newly rebuilt alternator in it. So now at this point I'm getting really ticked cause it's cold, windy as heck and I don't want to mess with this crap at all today.
    I figure my only option is to say what the heck, make sure the batteries are good in my truck and swap one out since it has the deep cycle optimas and no exhaust right now.
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Both Optimas, which were fully charged last week, are now dead! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Either mother nature and fate have been conspiring against me behind my back or something else is severly wrong at this point.
    I have no way of starting any of my vehicles, all my neighbors drive something like a early 80's honda or toyota with a 9 volt to start them/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, so none of them can give me a jump on my 350's. I have an old (really really old) battery charger that I'm praying will do something to help me.

So my question is has something this crappy happened to anyone else and how to you help keep your battery safe and healthy all winter long, when you don't have a garge to park in? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bummmmer... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If I was closer I would help..
    Do you have a AAA card???

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

No but if it comes down to it a good freind of mine runs a towing company in town and I'll suck it up and give him a call when he isn't so busy.

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    No but if it comes down to it a good freind of mine runs a towing company in town and I'll suck it up and give him a call when he isn't so busy.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm surprised You have Optima's in both vehicles...
    They're pretty pricey...

The Red Top Optima I have in my Trail Rig..doesn't like colder temps either...but its going on 5 years old..

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

No I have dual dep cycles in my truck, some AC delco crap in my car and van, but the van will get a red top this year I hope. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

During the winter months, I use plug in battery maintainer's, or "trickle chargers" as some are called. They run about 25 bucks apeice at walmart or northern, harbor freight. Sometime's you can catch them on sale. Just plug em in and hook them to your battery, and they will keep it charged and ready top go. Just don't forget to unplug it before you drive off. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yeah that sucks. One of the guys at work did that to his cement mixer. We wrap the power cord around hte mirror to keep it off the ground, and he ripped the mirror off his door. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Hmm, that might be a good solution if I had a long enough extension cord. I'll have to look into that, thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like you live in the land locked version of the Bermuda Triangle! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Don't feel so bad, batteries here last 2 years regardless of price because of the heat.

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

you sure someones not playin a prak on you and disconect the other end of one of you batt cables on all your cars?

11. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

No I got three of the batteries down on the charger right now. The two optimas only registered about 2 volts each when I checked them. I used to have a load tester to check them with but can't find it now. The van battery was starting to show signs of age so I'm not suprised just frustrated. It's the other two that got me though. Good batteries last week and then nothing at all today. There is no way anyone around here has the guts to touch my van or truck anymore (course letting there dogs pee on them seems to be another story) plus I checked the connections first. Just gotta see if any of them will take a charge now.

Well several hours later:
    ==> AC delco has taken some charge, and is looking better but gonna let it charge longer just to be safe.
    ==> Optima 1 taken a bit of a charge now at 6 volts
    ==> Optima 2 not even touched yet (maybe tomorrow as these take a long time to fully charge)

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

You might try using a battery warmer. I'm sure you've seen them, they just wrap around the battery and then you just plug them in....keeping the battery warm. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I've been pretty lucky this year as far as batteries go. Even with temps in the -10 F range, the vehicles are slow to crank, but still fire. Gotta love winter in the midwest! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't feel so bad, batteries here last 2 years regardless of price because of the heat.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What type of batteries are you buying? I've never had a batt go bad cause of the heat...knock on wood... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

did u make sure they were not frozen before you started to charge them? i left my key in the ACC position the other day and drained the battery, since it was drained and single digit temps, it froze. i let it unthaw overnight, the next day it took a charge.

15. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yup, thawed out in the basement prior to charging them.

Blew up a couple of batteries in the army like that. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

16. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

what.....

I live in AZ and seeing over 110 is a normal thing, my dads battery is on 5 years, cheap exide battery, My nieghbor has had the same optima for almoast 7 years /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I have 2 redtops and love them to death /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

also if you have a AUTOZone they will charge it, I have had them do a few before /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

18. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Sorry to hear of your screwed up morning.

You CAN jump from any 12 volt vehicle, yes, even a ricer. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

19. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Tried it before, none of the cars around here had a battery with enough cranking power to turn over the 350's in my van or truck, and I didn't want to wait all day for the tiny alt in their car to recharge my battery either.

Got the van battery re juiced and she starts back up fine, but the optima's ain't looking too good. They charge for an hour or so then peg out the meter on the charger. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I'll have to try and locate the reciept, if they're fried I should be able to get them replaced since they're only a couple years old, even if it cost's me a few bucks. Better than brand new $179.99! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

20. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

My battery still cranks it over but the trans won't shift and the hood is froze shut!!! No place to get it inside either. Might limp it to the car wash tonight. Only two blocks away.