Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery relocation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Jun 4, 2006.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm sick of my battery trays breaking. My truck sees a lot of Forest service roads on the way to trails. These are usually quite rutted and full of potholes. The constant jarring just beats the crap out of the stock mounting system and creates a serious safety hazard IMO.

I recently had a small fire when an oil cooler line blew (See "caught my junk on fire"). Not much damage, but in a way it was a blessing in disguise. While the trail fix was going on I noticed that both my battery trays had broken loose.

So, I could weld up the busted mounts on the trays and bolt them back up with larger washers but I no longer have any confidence that it'll stay fixed for long. It seems like this'd be a good time to move the battery's to a better location. I'm thinking of a couple of recessed wells just ahead of the rear fenderwell. One battery on each side.

First question is do I have to worry about fumes from the batteries inside the truck? Second question is how much ventilation should a battery have? I can make sealed lids to keep fumes out of the truck if it's needed...and strategic vent holes also.

Rene

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I didn't want to ride in yer stoopid truck anyway...:p:

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I'd make sealed lids and vent them to the underside of the truck, or run Optima's.

4. tRustyK5

Are you lost Rob?

The Lounge is the second one from the top...:haha:

Rene

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

6. tRustyK5

No offense, but I'm not about to drop close to $200 US for two plastic boxes...I don't care if their certified by NASA. :haha:

Rene

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I used a Marine battery box from Walmart. If i remember correctly they were less than $20 a pop. Plus a remote battery mount kit (wiring) from Summit. Bought it years ago for another project, but just was a bunch of 1 gauge wiring.

But mines any Optima in an open top k5, so no worries about fumes.

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, if you dont have some sort of sealed battery, I'd put them in a box for extra security from fumes. And for added protection from something possibly falling on them and arching...

9. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Wal-mart has plastic marine boxes for around 5 or 10 bucks. I was messing with them the other night and id cut 1 of the clips that hold it down off cause you get one undone and the other doesnt want to let go, Id just strap the top down so it wouldnt go nowhere.

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Your best bet for cables is welding cable, there are many strands of wire and good copper wire to boot.

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

In this very old pic ( when just got home ) I found my the P/O on Marvs advice moved the battery here . I do plan on wrapping my exhaust headers , and wrapping the battery with a blanket from Summit .

[​IMG]

12. tRustyK5

Thanks guys, good info. Looks like I'll be building a couple of sealed integral boxes for my batteries then. No more having to worry about the trays breaking, and it get's 100+ plus lbs in a lower more central location. Every little bit helps, and I've never been happy with that much weight up that high and so far forward anyways.

I'll post some pic's when I get it done.

Rene

13. liv24wheel

liv24wheel Registered Member

So when running the wires back to the batteries, should you wrap them in anything if they are being run on the underside of the truck? Or are they ok? Also, do you just run straight wires as they are run factory? Or do you need to do something since their is such a long length of wire and you may loose some power?

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You may want to insulate them if they pass near exhaust in close proximity. Never hurts to use some loom to protect them form rubbing. Definitely protect them if they pass through a hole.

Use large welding cable like previously mentioned. The bigger cable will have much less loss.

Don't use the frame as a ground cable.

15. liv24wheel

liv24wheel Registered Member

What would be a good way of mounting the batter box behind the rear seat of a K5? I am thinking of making a couple of metal brackets that will slide down over the box then drill holes in the tub, slide bolts through them with washers and weld them to the body then bolting the brackets down. Any other ideas?

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

venting schmenting.

[​IMG]

from summit... $24.99

j

17. tRustyK5

I used cable ties and 'P' clamps on the cables underneath the body to keep them where they need to be. I did wrap a few sections with the corrugated wire loom where they go over anything with an edge that might chafe the insulation.

My longest cable goes to the starter and is only about 18" longer than the stock piece it replaced...but it's much heavier gauge.

Regarding using the frame as a ground, it might not be ideal but i already had the cables made up and installed before reading that it wasn't the best. FWIW, even using the frame as a ground I have much better cranking speed and shorter 'glow times' when starting the truck now. I will eventually run a pair of ground cables right up to the starter. :rolleyes:

A couple of pic's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no fender creaks anymore either, even though i have quite a few bsuted spot welds where the inner and outer parts of the fender meet. Without the weight of the batteries up front there is very little to get the fenders to creak and groan anymore.

Rene

18. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That looks great. How does it look from the outside?

19. tRustyK5

From the outside.

Driver's side looking forward:

[​IMG]

Dead on from the side, you can just see the bottom corner of the batt box peeking out. My rear fenders are cut pretty agressively though. I plan on some low profile rubber fender edging/flairs in an effort to keep the truck more legalish. :p:

[​IMG]

Passenger side, same view:

[​IMG]

Dunno how clear this is, but it shows the fender well edge just about even with the end of the upper shock stud.

[​IMG]

Rene

20. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

and to add to that... search ebay.. I got 3/0 welding cable for $1.70 a foot..... for my winch.... :bow: