Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

battery resurrection guide??? anyone done this

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jkwoffroad, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jkwoffroad

jkwoffroad Registered Member

I was looking for a new battery for my dewalt cordless tools today on ebay and ran across this guy selling a "battery resurrections guide". Says it will bring new life to batteries that won't hold a charge - like the three batteries I have. Does anyone know anything about this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEWALT-FIRESTORM-12-13-2-14-4-15-6-18-19-2-VOLT-BATTERY_W0QQitemZ7570977810QQcategoryZ82275QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEWALT-FIRESTORM-12-13-2-14-4-15-6-18-19-2-VOLT-BATTERY_W0QQitemZ7570977810QQcategoryZ82275QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

If I read that correctly, you have to disassemble the packs and fix each cell by itself. Good luck getting everything back together inside the pack properly. I don't know what his steps are, but it is almost worth the 13.00 to find out.
    IMO If you can find a buddy that is into r/c and use his peak charger on your battery pack, it will get some more life out of it. I have been peak charging Makita batteries for years. I also use 10, 1157 bulbs soldered together as a discharger to suck the battery dry before charging.

So: fully discharge battery,let it cool to room temp, put it in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes, peak charge it, let it cool, and use it.

3. jkwoffroad

"peak" charger - what's the difference in the peak charger and my dewalt 18v charger?

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

How old are your batteries? What voltage?
    How old is the charger?

DeWalt now offers a 2-year service plan for their batteries FREE. No sign-up, no BS. If within 2 years of purchase your battery goes to s**t, DeWalt will fix or replace it, FREE.

The newer 1-hr chargers also have an automatic tune-up feature. Leave the battery on the charger overnight and it does it's thing on it's own. If you do 1 hour charges frequently, the reps I've spoken to recommend leaving the batteries on the charger overnight every 10 cycles.

With the newer XRP batteries, DO NOT RUN THEM DEAD! This does nothing good for them; they're not Ni-Cd cells, so they don't develop memory. This advice actually goes for ANY non - Ni-Cd battery, whether it's Ni-MH, Li-Ion, whatever...

To find a DeWalt service center near you, click here

***EDIT***
    jkwoffroad - your DeWalt charger functions as a peak charger by design. That's how it knows to stop the high-current fast-charge rate and switch to the low-current "trickle" charge.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

That is surprising. I always thought that they were feedback chargers.

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As I understand it (which could of course be wrong...) a feedback charger IS a peak charger. Both monitor the battery voltage while fast-charging, to detect the peak-and-drop (for lack of a better description) of the pack's voltage. Once peak is detected, they both drop back to a low-current charge rate. Over-simplified description, of course, but the basics are there.

Am I incorrect about this? If I am, please educate me... and the rest of us!

7. jkwoffroad

8. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

dudes at school have been fixing them by charging a capacitor with 230 volts DC, then discharging it across the the leads of the battery.

They have only have 1 not return to like new condition.

This teacher who was an engineer where I used to work showed them how to do it. He is SUPER smart (has like 6 degrees), and is from India. He said over there, you only buy 1 battery in your life for you car. When you wreck or get rid of the car, you put it the next one. He says this is how they fix the car battteries too.

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Simply, yes, basically. IIRC the difference between the chargers for Makita, and the like, and the R/C car variety is in the detection hardware. The components for the better R/C car peak chargers: detect changes faster, are more accurate, use fuzzy logic, pulse the charge for a deeper charge, and use more than just voltage feedback to determine state of charge.
    I read a comparison of chargers a long time ago, when I was really into R/C, that broke them down into all of the reasons they are different. IIRC the main difference between the top chargers was in the fuzzy logic. The original thought was that you could use a Makita charger as a poor mans peak charger. The article explained why that was not a better solution. That said, I started using an old(new then) Novak peak charger for my Makita batteries. This was over 10 years ago. I still use both of my original Makita batteries. I used to use them daily, now its weekly. That fact, in my mind, tells me that there is a world of difference between the R/C peak chargers and the Dewatl/Makita/craftsman style. The chargers of today may have come a long way. I still use my Novak on my makitas, at least every few charges.

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yep, the 9116 is the "latest and greatest" from DeWalt for 7.2v-18v.

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Leper,
    I figured the R/C peak chargers would do a better job than tool chargers. I remember from my heavy-into-R/C days that a few seconds of runtime could be the difference between first and also-ran in a 4-minute Main... and a better charge on your batteries could be the key to that few seconds.

12. jkwoffroad

follow up - IT WORKED

Well I tried the capacitor to battery zap last night and it worked. I had a Dewalt 18v battery that wouldn't hold a charge. I took it apart and checked the voltage across each of the (15) cells (if I remember correctly) in the pack. Five of the cells checked zero volts, the others had around 1.22 volts. I used a 90VDC power supply to charge a capacitor then discharge it across each of the bad cells. I charged the capacitor for approx 7-10 seconds with the 90VDC. I have no idea what I hit the cells with but it does make a difference as to how long you charge the capacitor. I charged the battery and checked the voltage on the once dead cells. They showed 1.23 volts just like the others. When I started the battery pack checked approx 13-14 volts, now it checks 20+ volts. Just thought I'd pass this along.

13. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

That is awesome.

***EDIT*** I just noticed where you are at....I was born there.

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

can you cut and paste the instructions? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

15. jkwoffroad