Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery Rules (Buying 2 sets of new batt's)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Corey-88K5, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Battery Rules (Buying 2 sets of new batt\'s)

Hey Folks,

I'm getting ready to replace 2 sets of batteries, and both are in different config's. The first is in my 94 Dodge w/ Cummins & the other is in my 88 K5 W/ Hellroaring Dual Batt Isolator. I remember a long time ago I got some good information, and can only remember vauge rules about how you sould buy batteries and it depended on how they were configured. There is something floating around in my head about getting 2 batteries from the same production run and that are numerically inorder as far as serial number (batt1 Serial #: 100001, Batt2 Serial# 100002). I"ve pretty much decided I'm sticking with Sears Range Handler's or about that level. The current batterys in the Dodge are Champion, and the one in the blazer (range handler) only died because the wife wasn't able to get it charged after the battery died (alt. quit working).

Thanks for your suggestions about how to purchase these batt's.

Corey 88K5 & 94 CTD

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</a>

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Re: Battery Rules (Buying 2 sets of new batt\'s)

I can't speak for the diesel, because (if I recall correctly) those are always connected, never isolated. If that is true, the only thing I would know of is to make sure they are of the same capacity and charge. Otherwise, the bigger battery will always be depleted to the level of the lesser one. Battery charge is like water, it will want to equal itself out (least resistance thing).

On the K5, the batteries don't have to be matched at all. Especially if you usually keep them isolated. When the engine is running, the alt is charging them based on the amount of charge each needs. Electricity is flowing to them. So, if they are of different capacities and so forth, it doesn't matter. The alt is charging them. And, I assume you usually don't have them connected with the vehicle off for any extended duration.

For my rig with an isolator, I run a regular truck battery (Walmart Everstartl) for my primary starting battery. This gives me plenty of juice to run the engine and its accessories. I think that battery cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 with 2 year free replacement and 6 year pro-rate. Can't recall the CA and CCA right now, but guessing somewhere around 900CCA. My second battery, which is used for my auxillary circuits (off-raod lights, CB, 12v plugs, etc.) is a Walmart deep cycle marine starting battery. It was around $70 with the same warranty. I believe it is something like 675CCA. This setup works great for how I have it designed.

To get back to your question, for isolated batteries they do not have to be matched. They don't even have to be the same brand, cranking rating, or even type (i.e. deep cycle). However, for the connected battery, I would expect they at least should be the same rating and size, probably at least the same brand as well.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I wouldn't take a Die Hard or any battery from Sears if you gave it to me.
    On our company van (95 GMC Vandura) we run a Isolated battery to run a power inverter. The inverter is a real nice unit and has a low battery shut off. at 11volts the inverter kicks out so this battery was never run totaly dead.
    Well were a company so we had to buy the battery somewhere that took the company service deal (GE Capital Fleet Service). The original battery that I put in the vehicle was a Die Hard deep cycle. It lasted about 14 months. When I went to NTB (Sears owned and sells die Hards) to replace it they said even though it says 2 year replacement warranty that since it's in a Commercial vehicle they would only cover it for one year. Funny they didn't tell me that when we paid $80 up front. So the guy prorates me another battery same model. 8 months later it gives it up. So I get another and 9 months later it gives it up but they will not replace it because it is waranty replace ment for the previous battery that was swaped 9 months prior.
    Well the battery for the van (engine and original) Gives it up at about 3 years. Belivee me they put a battery in new vehicles that just gets by. So I am again stuck going to NTB because they will bill the Fleet service. Yep you guessed it. 15 months old and it gives it up. Again they screw me on the comercial deal. again they prorate the battery. and 13 months down the line it is crapped out again.
    Now the inverter is tough on the battery. I wrote that off as why we were getting such short life out of the inverter battery.
    Now I think that Die Hards just not worth the extra money after the original small batter that came in it lasted 3 years and the next 2 Die Hards didn't last 3 years combined.
    I run Duralasts from Autozone in ALL my vehicles. When I bought them I asked about their replacement policy's, About if I use a winch etc' They said no questions asked. If we sell you a 3 year replacement 8yr warranty (last 5 prorated) total year battery the first 3 years will be free replacement regardless of if it is in a commercial vehicle or not or if you use a winch. And here is the kicker........Cheaper than the Die hard that was rated less power and warranty.
    So I have 2 of the 8 year batteries (one in my k5 and one in the Lady's K5 that have been going strong now for 4 years. never missed a beat, Never fail to start the trucks even when needing multiple cranks. My 75 sometimes sits for 2-3 weeks between times I drive. It don't like cold and it takes a couple of crakes to get it to run if it is not diven daily. I know that today after it has sat for 2 weeks where several of the nigts we had frost it would crank right off good and strong and do it the 2- 3 times it will take to get the fridiged truck to run.
    As for the dual set ups. Doesn't matter on the K5 with the isolater. For the Deisel. Yep buy out of the same lot and try to find SN#'s that are very close.
    Something I am looking at buying is these solar battry chargers. Lead acid batteries like being charged. it keeps the plates from sulfateing. With the one truck sitting for weeks and my little Reaper custom camper I think this is the ticket. I'll let you know what I find.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here's another vote against Die Hard batteries. I used only Die Hard for probably 20 years without a problem, but somewhere in the last 7 years or so, something changed... I had 3 Die Hards in my S-Jimmy over about 4 years. Each one died, without warning, after 13 to 15 months. Just outside the 1-year replacement warranty, of course.

When the 3rd one died, I made Sears give me a FULL refund for the cost of a new Die Hard. I showed them all of the reciepts from the last 3 batteries and told them that I was fed up with being forced to pay the pro-rate charge on their batteries. And worse, I was really fed up with getting out of a truck that was running fine and then the next time I got in it, the battery was so dead that the dome light wouldn't come on. The batteries wouldn't even take a charge!

So 3 years ago I put a Duralast Gold in it and have not had a single battery problem since. [​IMG] Sears lost this Die Hard customer for life.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

From what it sounds like the Die Hard Batterys live up to their name...when they die...they Die HARD..haha [​IMG]

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

[​IMG]<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5>http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5</a>[​IMG]

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ohh I forgot about the suddenly dead story. We had that happen also. The Lady ran our daughter to daycare. This involved going out and starting the car. letting it warm, driving 2 miles down the road, Parking, walking her into the building, walking back to the car. Were talking the car was parked 5 minutes.
    NOTHING. no lights, would not start. She calls me and I come out put a VOM on the battery and it reads 0v. Would not jump. Wouldn't even turn over with jumper cables on it. Burried the ammeter on my truck.
    Even if she had left the lights on it could not have run the battery down in the 5 minutes the car was parked. That battery was in the car when a bought it. I know that battery was less than 2 years old.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Kinda funny. I get my batteries at Walmart and have never had any problems. The 91 Prelude is one its third battery (ever), the 96 Firebird is on its second battery, and I have changed the truck battery once in the past 5 years. Only one that gets changed frequently is the boat battery. It typically only lasts 2 years. But, that is also because the boat doesn't get used much and I usually leave the battery in it.

And some people bad mouth Walmart!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The wife's Suburban has one of the Walmart Everlast batteries in it. Just over 3 years and still going strong. It was the only store open the night I needed the battery. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I think that the Die Hard Gold is still made by AC Delco. If so, get that one when looking at Die Hards. I saw some test data before that showed the OE batteries to be years ahead of anything made for the aftermarket.

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have Wallyworld batteries in both my truck and Donna's car. On Donna's car I replaced the origional with a Wallyworld and used that battery to jump her Camaro many times and took it out and put it in other vehicles to start them and it lasted over 2 years and then she went to Wallyworld shopping and came out and the car was dead, took it out walked into Wallyworld got a new one and put it in and that was over 2 years ago.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

11. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.

Well thanks guys,

I may look into Autozone (which I HATE that place) But if the batterys are as good as you all are ranting about, I may go that route. $400 for batt's is a lot of money to spend in a month!

The batt in the blazer was killer until I burnt up my hellroaring isolator (long story, just follow the directions and YOU will be fine ;) and when the alternator died the wife didn't get the truck's batt charged back up for over 2 weeks, and now the batt is TOAST!

Thanks again, I'll run out to autozone,here in TX, they give 10% discount to Military!!!!

HECK YA

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</a>

12. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Run Delcos. They work good even if they aren't as pretty as Optimas.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

13. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I think it was last year when I read in Consumer Reports that the Auto Zone Duralast lasted longer in many tests compared to the DieHard.

Mudstud
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s6superliftand33s.msnw?albumlist=2</a>
    76K5 6" with 33s, sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12bolt

14. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Never tried the Autozone ones, but I've had good luck with the exide ones at Checker (although I know lots of people who curse them). However they do not fare well if they are fully run down; I have a completly isolated electrical system and a deep cycle as well, so this isn't a problem for me. The last one lasted about 4 years, I figure with the pro-rate it comes out to about $1/month. I do however wish I could find a deep cycle with a longer warranty, most I have seen are only 36 months (vs 80 months on my starting battery).

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd