Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery, starter, alternator, etc.... HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by speed_deed, Mar 23, 2004.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me the correct guage of wire from the starter to all the other carp it connects to, and what all it connects to?

Its on my '85 K5 it has all the options that I dont need or want, power everything, a\c, 305, TH700R4 blah blah blah...

Can anyone help me out with the rewiring of this engine compartment, by describing the routes of these wires. I'll Cut it down for you, I got the battery cable situation under control /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

Heres a partial diagram I just made on paint if somebody would be kind enough to finish it out and tell me what goes where.

2. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

The battery cable to the starter is huge, you can buy those from autozone. The wire to the alternator is like an 8 guage. The smaller wire from the starter to accesories is like a 10 guage. That wire comes up next to the bell housing and joins in the wiring harness behind your distributor. Then I believe it connects to a distribution block the middle of your firewall.

3. speed_deed

I know there are two cut off ends at the wiring harness under the master cylinder, I know atleast one needs to go to the distribution block and I know there are two positives and a negative to the alternator. Is there and other place to wire to? How many wires shoue connected to the starter to begin with, + battery cable red, neutral safety switch, purpl, how many more and where do they go?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Lessee, starter...one purple on the "start" terminal, battery cable to the main terminal, plus I believe there are TWO that come off of the main terminal, the two smaller red wires with fusible links.

On my setup IIRC, both of those red wires use the same ring terminal where they attach to the starter however. Can't believe I can't remember how many come off the distribution block and where each red wire heads though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif (maybe I'm lucky, just means I haven't had to even think about them for 5 years)

Neutral start switch is actually up on the column, that just cuts power to the purple wire to the starter if the vehicle is in gear. Not sure if you understood that or not from your post. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. speed_deed

Yeah, the neutral safety switch. Where do the two off of the starter go to?

I can build engines but I just cant get past any wiring.Masuse I can see how it works. I think I'm beating myself, after all the wires dont have any brain cells and I have 2!!