Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery/Starting Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by letsrollusaf, Dec 3, 2005.

1. letsrollusaf

letsrollusaf Registered Member

Well a funny thing happened today. Last night after work I tried starting my truck and nothing happened, there was a ignition horn and lights as usual but this time no engine start. The engine wasn't even trying to start, just nothing. Actually the first time i tried it clicked a couple of times but that was it. I thought that maybe since the battery might be old that the cold weather cashed it so I needed to get it jumped. Got someone to jump me and still the same thing, nothing. Funny thing was is I could turn on my lights and the dome light, but the second i tried to turn the engine over everything died and then i couldn't turn them back on. Well I thought the battery might be screwed or a cell was dead or soemthing, got it checked and the people said it was 100% charged and good before I even brought it to them. So then you can only imagine the thoughts running through my head then. Starter Solenoids? Well I bring the same battery back to my truck and I thought before I started ripping things apart I'd try to start it one more time, well like a magic trick it did. I have no idea what happened or why it worked now, but I have a funny feeling that after another night of cold its going to do it again. Any ideas fellas?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Corrosion or bad contact at the battery cables would be my guess if removing it "solved" the problem.

3. letsrollusaf

well that was what my friend told me, but I mean it basically happened in 8 hours because before that it was starting fine. Also with the engine I may have noticed something whining louder than usual, maybe the alternator. It was definetaly something at the front of the block, maybe I'm imagining things now that this has happened.

4. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

Yup! I would put on all new batt. cables (ground too!) and I bet U will not have a problem any more.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can easily check out the alternator output at idle to make sure its up to par, but I wouldn't blame that for your issue if thats where you are headed...the battery would be discharged if the alt was the cause.

6. letsrollusaf

Sweet, thanks guys.