Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery Suggestions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83bowtyblazer, Dec 6, 2002.

1. 83bowtyblazer

83bowtyblazer 1/2 ton status

I'm going to get a new battery for the truck tomorrow. I was wondering what you all recommended. I know Optima is top of the line but I don't need nothing that high tech. I was looking at Interstate Workaholic 725 CCA. Any recommendations?

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I've got an Optima red top, and I'll never buy anything else for my truck. This battery is awesome. My truck is not a daily driver, and sometimes it'll sit for more than a few months; the red-top always starts it right up.

One of the nice things about this battery, is even if you kill it totally dead, it'll charge right back up and perform as if it never died.

I know you said the Optima was not what you're looking for, but I would recommend you reconsider (just from my own experiences).

Thomas.

3. Living Large

Living Large Registered Member

Not to start a flame war here.......But as a employee of the worlds largest industrial battery manufacture, do your self a favor stay away from anything from Exide, GNB, or Champion. These are the three most popular brands sold at most discount auto parts stores in the U.S. It is a tough choice, because some of these listed battery makers private label for some of the more popular parts houses. Interstate, Deka(aka Hobbs), or Johnson controls is a good choice for a conventional wet plate battery. Keep in mind, who do you think USED to make the diehard? And the recent law suit settled by Sears against the makers of their batteries. Some of these companies have recently filed for bankruptcy-so much for the extended warrenty. Good luck.

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

There used to be a Johnson Controls battery manufacturing place in my hometown of Owosso, Michigan. I thought that was the last of their battery plants and it probably closed three or four years ago. Do they still make batteries? If so, who are they sold under?

I don't think there is a good battery out there anymore. I just go for the one with the best free-replacement warranty for the money. Die Hard and AC Delco used to be the best but neither are worth the powder to blow them up anymore.

5. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

I run a red Exide spiral battery, on the starting side, and a yellow optima on the stereo, assorted idiotic electric crap side, bolth have been reliable, and the exide is reasonably priced. A friend of mine that sells batterys told me that the spiral batterys are over kill and thats axactly what I wanted, over kill.

-Matt

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Y aknow I've burnt up alot of batteries.. but a while ago I bought a red top...

I used it for a week... then it sat for 3 months...

Today witht he new motor it the old redtop, which sat for 3 months, cranked it over for almost 15 monutes on and off till it started....

Now that's a battery.. and that's the red top.. you want better get the yellow top!!!

7. Living Large

Living Large Registered Member

Johnson Controls Inc.(aka JCI) is VERY much in business. They recently purchased the european giant battery manufacture Varta to make big and small batteries as well as starting batteries. Since I don't work for JCI, I am unsure of the name brands that they label under. But before you buy your battery take a little time and read the small print on the battery who really manufactures the piece. Just keep in mind the future of your battery if warrenty replacement is needed, do you want to buy a battery from a company who filled for bankrupcy?

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

There is a Johnson Control Battery plant here in this little town of Canby Or.

9. 83bowtyblazer

83bowtyblazer 1/2 ton status

Well, I picked up a Optima Red Top 75/35 yesterday. I went with it cause it was only 30 dollars more than the big interstate I was gonna get. Haven't installed it yet though.