Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery terminal for winch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Mar 4, 2006.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

PO installed a POS terminal on the 2 guage cable to the winch. Well, it melted off today while pulling a stump out.

Now I need a decent crimp/soder terminal for the 2 guage. Any recommendations or will a decent terminal and soder job do?

2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I located a solder terminal at Napa and did a nice job on the cable this evening. Should work well.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

If it doesn't, take the cable to a welding supply shop. They have an awesome crimper there. That is who I get my stereo cable from.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

crude but effective..

I guess I'm a barbarian..I just use the closest size of copper tubing that fits the wire,and mash half of it flat with a hammer,drill a 3/8 hole in it,and solder and crimp it on the cable with a few more hammer taps!..if you grind it round on the hole end,it almost looks factory made!..I use a propane torch and flux to solder them..they aren't that pretty,but I've yet to melt one!..:crazy:

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep! and it works too!

also a good way to make custom length cables for grounding under the hood and such

:D