Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery tray Question?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kenaik5, Feb 3, 2006.

1. kenaik5

kenaik5 Registered Member

I have got to replace my battery tray in my 72 K5, and i have noticed that it matters whether or not you have A/C? Why is this? I currently do not have A/C, but i will be installing Vintage air this summer. One more thing is i have got to modify the new tray in order to accommodate a new billet battery hold down that i have just purchased. I does not fit in between the sides of the stock hold down so I'm going to be cutting one side off in order to fit it.My question is should i buy one for a vehicle with A/C if I'm going to install the vintage air this summer? Thanks

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    A/C trarys have a holdown for 2 aluminium A/C lines,non-A/C tray does not have this holddown.
    here is a pic from LMC's catologe.(click image to enlarge)
    [​IMG]

3. tom4

tom4 Registered Member

This might not help. I didnt have ac on my 72 but I just took 2nd gen battery tray and with a little fabrication got it to fit in mine. I don't know about the A/C though.

4. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

I think you will be ok with the non A/C one. The vintage air probably will have the lines running in different places anyway. Even with the stock A/C, I'm not sure this extra bracket is really needed.

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

If your going to install a Vintage air system, have you asked them about the battery tray?

6. 72chevydsl

72chevydsl Registered Member

I just put a vintage air system in my truck a few weeks ago, the kit comes with a bracket that bolts to the battery tray. I didnt have an ac battery tray so I just modified their bracket and bolted it to the inner fender. So I guess the choice is yours. Just make sure you support the hard lines some way or they could crack over time from vibration.