Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery welding in Parker.Az

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fatbob, Nov 26, 2006.

1. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Well I thought I was ready to run with the big dogs {Amigos} up in Parker, but I was mistaken.:doah:
    I mean my rig looked pretty tough in the driveway:haha:
    and I've done some moderate wheeling in it. Body damage is not something I'm looking for, but I not afraid of it.
    Anyway we go on a trail called true grit, I think, and I bust the front spring hanger completely off one side and half off the other side. And we only did two obsticles.:eek1:
    I admit, I never finished welding them up when I was building it. But even so, some of their rigs are far beyond what I will ever be able to get this one to be.

While Marv headed back to camp for the readywelder, Fred brokeout his air grinder and prepped the areas for welding.
    I cant remember who came up with the idea of trying to weld it with batteries, but Pauly supplied the welding rod, Fred had the welding goggles & grinder, and Alan added his battery to my two.
    Thanks guys:bow: :bow: :bow:
    While I was trying to keep from stressing out they showed me that welding trick really works. I never thought it would be strong enough to hold the leaf springs, but I'M happy to say I was wrong.:laugh:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/fatbob2/parker/parker056.jpg
    Not sure how to link to a photobucket album but here's a pic.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe someone knows how to link to the pics.

PS Thanks to Matt and Harley for welding it on more securely with the mig at camp.

2. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

ah, you just left it loose so you'd have something to talk about later right? trail fixes make good stories!

3. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yeap and some thought my strange trail fixes thread was goofy!

now where was that thread..........

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I know of a certain Jimmy that had the steering arm welded back on with batteries.

5. FWP

FWP CRS

3 batteries and 6011 gets it done:D (BTW - Pauly, get some different rod;) ) It was a cool fix, but at the same time it wasn't a cool situation:mad: .

A lot of folks went WAY out of their way to get you fixed, while others didn't even get to try the first waterfall, due to the time it took to get you out. Am I little bent about it?, yes, but at myself.

This was my fault that your rig was even on that particular trail. As the trail leader, I should have inspected your rig a little closer at the trail head. Had I done so, I would have seen the front spring hangers, which locate your axles, were merely tacked in place. You would have left your rig at the trail head, or entered at the back of the group at your own peril.

Lessons learned. I have to call it like I see it before the trail. If it makes me the bad guy, oh well. For others reading this post, please make sure your rig is trail prepared before you join a group run. It costs others time, money, wheeling fun, etc. when your vehicle isn't in good trail condition.

6. Metrodps

Ahh the later is true but if your a brother to those in your pack you watch out for each other. Your statement about back of group at your own peril sounds like stick it to ya man if you break down your on your own. I hope I am wrong but that is how I read it.

A leader makes sure his group is ready and when one of your own breaks down you stay with till fixed or leave them with someone to help out. Lets say your the last one in the pack and you get separated from the group. You fix your rig but then it falls on you. HELP oh poo no one here they left me. *^)%*&_(* !

I am not slamming you just stating what it sounds like to me. Hope I am wrong.......

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well , we don't and didn't abandon anyone . Fred was just saying next time , there will be a little more scrutiny of the rigs , and if a rig is suspect , we will not want it on the trail . thats not a big deal . We can fit people in empty seats elsewhere .

Fred is good people and will not abandon anyone who broke , and as a matter of fact he didn't .

I have wheeled with these people on many different levels of trails , either as a driver , or as a passenger . And we have rigs with recovery gear strewn throughout the convoy , always a winch or strap equipped truck with a radio at the rear .

Fred was talking about next time we ALL need to be prepared . Which is how I read it .

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Correct- that's the how the AZ guys wheel.

No, you read it right. If you do not listen to the trail leader, who says do not go on the trail because your rig has problems, and you go anyway... You're on your own.

Absolutely... that's the how the AZ guys wheel.

I hope you understand what I am saying.

9. pauly383

Front locker is officially considered working . Just need seat time . The truck can go sideways now :D

[​IMG]

10. Metrodps

Don't know if ya don't ask Glad you clarified that

11. pauly383

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/fatbob2/parker/ rest of pics of Bobs .

Hey Bob as you were saying goodbye my cell died .......oops . On charger now . Don't sweat anything . Fix it up , get some seat time , and your golden . We already know your a good guy , and we like you man :thumb:

12. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

It seems the Amigos have a knack for battery welding, (and uhhh front spring hangers.)

[​IMG]

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Try 6013 or 7013. The 60 melts easier for trail use. I carry 6013 as does most of our young gun amigos. It is an all postion easy start rod. Works well on dirty metal. Carry 1/8" and a bit of 3/16 and you will be set.

You have to realize how prepared we are before you critisize fred. We had a good miller 135, grinders, and extra steel all back at camp. Had bob's situation been known we would have fixed it up before he even left. I did finish weld the hangers before he went home too.

Bob, you still need to grind all of that weld off, clean it up, and have it re welded. It was really dirty when I was buzzing.

14. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

While I do not regret going to this run, I do very much regret taking away from everyone elses enjoyment of the trail.
    No matter how many thank you's I say or apologies I make, no body will get that wasted time back . But again I do give my thanks for everyones help and agologies.:bow:
    I still intend to become a strong more capable wheeler, instead of being like a needy little sister on the trail, but this time out I did not exactly shine in the welding department.:doah: I think my disappointment in myself was far greater than Fred's frustration, and that was alot.
    Now I did ask for advice on known weak points on my rig, and Fred and Marv clued me in, but we will always find those unkown weak areas later.
    Fred mentioned trail leaders giving a more through inspection before going on the trail, but realisticly thats not really pracitical.
    I would really look forward to a through Amigo inspection, but you know how defensive some people get about their stuff.
    I was under the impression this trail was for the moderate run but it was far more hard core than I've ever been on, I expected something like terminator and got more than I bargained for.:eek1:
    I respect your guys opinions and would have not attempted this one if you had advised against it. And I would have been as frustrated as you guys were if it was someone else not being prepared enough.
    Anyway my first trip did not earn me any respect from anyone , but I can guarantee you that I will not shame myself as badly next time we meet on a run.
    Now I got work to do.
    :weld: :weld: :weld: :weld:
    Best reguards
    Bob

15. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I have some comments on this.

Let me make some very clear points on this topic:

First off let me make some items very clear here regarding this specific topic. We have been doing this run to Parker now for over 4 years. The post that I created in the Arizona Regional Forum talks very clearly about trail rigs being ready and how hardcore the trails are in Parker. I personally think Bob is a good guy, and don’t mistake that, but by making the decision to wheel this trail with a non trail ready rig, and knowing how hard this trail was, he did not objectively think about how his decision would effect the others in the group. His choice not mine, I’m not his dad.

Yes trail breakage happens, but this trip to Parker had been posted up many weeks before this trip, and many discussions were had about spare parts and body damage/breakage that would absolutely happen when the trails in Parker are run.

Due to these circumstances, I feel the better decision, would have been not to run the trails due to the risk of breakage/damage, and vehicle readiness, but due to the personalities of this large group, no one wanted to be the bad guy, and nothing was said to Bob due to hurt feelings etc...

Does this mean that Bob is a bad guy, not at all, it just means that better discussions should have be had with Bob and the others in the group. Put yourself in Bob’s shoes, towed all the way to Parker and get’s told his rig’s not really ready to wheel the trails, and he’s on his own. Would that not have sucked to been told this??

Parker is a long way away, and everyone want’s to have a good time, very tough decision to be made, and it was not made.

This won’t happen again, and I promise before the next large trail run, any rig showing up not prepared nor trail worthy will not run the trail with me personally and I will not dice words/personalities/or feelings, regarding this topic, and does not matter who is ready. If this makes me the bad guy, oh well. Does it mean I don’t like you personally, hell no. It just means come as prepared as you can.

Remember, for the most part, the majority of the group planned for days/weeks/months for this trip. Most take valuable vacation time from work, save dollars to budget for this trip, plan and anticipate, purchase groceries, take kids out of school, and stay up many late nights preparing for this trip for both trail rigs, campers, trailers, and tow rigs. We spend lots of time and money PREPARING for this trip, hoping to keep the self inflicted damage as low or minimal as possible.

It should be a given that anyone that runs any trails with any group, spends time thinking about how well his rig is prepared to run the trip specific trails. Questions to ask yourself, would be; is my rig prepared to run the trail, if my rig is under prepared, will breakage delay the others from wheeling because its not easily repaired? These are just a few of the questions that should be asked by the owner of the rig.

If the person asking these questions, is not thinking about these items before he shows up to the trail run, or starts thinking of these items the day of the trail run, then in my opinion they are being selfish to themselves and not thinking of the others. Especially if you have run with us previously, as we have never left anyone behind on any trail broken.

It’s a decision that each person has to make and not an easy decision. I want to show up to run the trail, but I’m not really sure if my rig is ready to wheel the level of trail that everyone is running. How do I know if my truck is ready for the trail until I show up and try it. It’s a very tough situation for someone that does not wheel all of the time, especially local runs versus long distant runs.

If you are back and forth over these items in your planning and preparations, then start asking people questions about what they think. Don’t wait until the day of the run and ask the question, then you will be all hurt about wasting the time and money to get to the trail, and feel like the person telling you these things is, “holier than thou”, who does he think he is????

Now, we have set an example in all of our past runs, not worrying too much about peoples rigs, as nothing has been said, this is OUR fault, it has been an pattern that no one has stopped or said anything about until now. So, in Bob’s defense, he remembered the last trips he took with us and used them as examples of what he has been exposed to with us. Everyone that goes in together comes out together. He did what we patterned and showed him, based on all the previous runs, this was as much our problem as his because we have never cared about getting into these discussion with others, as we are not a club or an organized group. Just a bunch of people that like to wheel together. There has always been an underlying understanding of being prepared, but underlying and out in the open understandings are totally different, it’s like ASSUMING something, you make and ass out of you and me. Our fault just as much as Bob’s.

Now, trail breakage is normal, and $hit happens, this is totally understandable. Everyone accepts it, no questions asked, it’s part of wheeling, and there is not preparation in the world that is going to change the Rock Gods opinion on this, when it’s your number it’s your number, without proper sacrifice, to the Rock Gods, sooner or later they are going to spank you hard and it’s going to be a long day and long night on the trail.

Comments from posters like "stick it to the man, or back of the group" is total bull$hit. This statement is a webwheelers comment that does not understand or has no concept of the meaning of the original post. Was the original post harsh, YES, did it suck to be Bob that day, YES, did everyone help to get Bob off the trail that day, YES, did anyone even think about leaving him on the trail alone to work out his issues, NO WAY, did we loose some good wheeling time due to this breakage, YES, did we all learn some valuable lessons from this situation, YES, do we like Bob any less for what happened, HELL NO. But sometimes the facts are the facts, and they are not pleasant.

Overall, if you don’t like it, and you have been told by someone that has the wheeling experience, not to run the trail, and you do it anyways, against better judgment, then in my mind you deserve what you get, due to the fact that ego is making a decision instead of fact. Why should I give up my hard earned vacation, money and time to someone that made a decision for himself and not for the group. I prepared, they did not.

NOTE:
    Let me be very clear on this post. I am responding to the topic by the poster talking about “Stick it to the man, Or back of the Group”. I totally disagree with this statement, think this statement comes from a web wheeling position instead of experience.

These comments are my OPINIONS, and everyone has them, they are like A$$holes, everyone has one. That’s great, you can have your opinion, and I will have mine.

Also let me be very clear about Bob, I like Bob, he’s a very personable person, and we have had some great fun together as a group. The situation that arose in Parker just happen to have happened to Bob, it could have been anyone. Bob just happened to be the person, is this a personal attack on Bob, hell no, and if you think this, then you did not get anything about what this post is about.

Here is a totally made up scenario for you, what would you do:

You have been wheeling with a group of guys for a while, someone who has not been wheeling with the group but hangs out on a Internet sight show up on a posted trail run.

The person that show up, is not built by any means but decides to run the trail anyways after some comments have been made about how hard the trail is on both sheet metal, and drive-train parts.

The person decides to run, even after more comments about how hard the trail is and how hard it is on parts. Get to the trail and some of the people in the group with built rigs are hammering there way through the trail and sheet metal is getting pounded into submission on the leading trail rigs.

The person then watches the built rig break an front axle and takes the winch to get through the spot. This person has just watched the built rig tear up $hit to get through the spot and decides he can do it, even though he is concerned with his sheet metal, someone walks up to this person, and say, "you are going to tear up you vehicle in this spot, don't think you should try this", the person tries it anyways.

Destroys many miles of sheet metal and then breaks rear axle and front outer stub shaft and hub, in the middle of the obstacle.

Looks like a hurt puppy, and has no winch, on spares, and no real tools. There are now 10 other rigs to get through the obstacle still.

An to boot, he drove the rig from home and needs to drive it back home.

No tools, no winch, no spares, and has no way to get home, but would not listen to anyone that told him his $hit was not ready, and to boot he watched the other guy in front of him with a built rig grenade an axle and took a winch to get out.

The others he knows, but does not really hang with except on a website all had spares and tow rigs and tools.

Then they ask for help, admits they have no way to fix his breakage or anyway to get home.

Who made the bad decision, now???? Who should be responsible for his actions???

I absolutely am not going to put up with a crapload of feedback from web wheelers, if you don’t have some experience on this topic, and it gets out of hand, I’m going to delete it.

16. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Very well put Rob. I think everyone needs to read that post.