Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery welding?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 2, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, a few times I've heard the phrase "Battery welding". What exactly is it, and how do you do it. I know it's not something you should do, but if something breaks on the trail I want to be prepared. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

I think ive done it a few times on accident, brushing a wrench across the terminals, or touching the starter cable to the body, with my Optima Red top, it made a pretty decent "bead", and left me running for the faucet once or twice (sparks in hair feels great, really) I dont know personally if one could use this methode to "fix" anything, but some people can get pretty MacGyver-esk when needed.

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Companies actually sell portable welders run off 1 or 2 car batteries. Not much different from a DC arc welder.

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

ive heard of conecting two batteries together
    and using jumper cables, with a coat hanger, or something in the positive cable, it will weld

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You need a minimum of two batteries. Three is better. With three batteries you get 36 volts. Amperage is I think the average of the three batteries with losses figured in for certain things. Hook negative of first battery to ground clamp, positive to neg on second batt. and so on. Run them in series, Pos of last batt is hooked to electrode. You can switch the polarity as well. It's kinda cool to see it work. Give the batteries time to cool once in a while.

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

what kind of welding can you do with it?

what can it weld

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Amperage is I think the average of the three batteries with losses figured in for certain things.

[/ QUOTE ]

In series the amount of current (amperage) available would be that of the lowest rated battery in the series.

You can weld anything with this, just like a stick welder. It's not exactly a wonderful way to weld, but it sure is better than nothing.

8. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

any websites with more info on this?

pictures, ect