Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery went up in flames!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Stuck an old battery on the charger. This battery has been giving me problems for a while, but what the hell right? So I toss it on the charger, and just to make sure its charging, I attach a 12V florecent light.

The automatic charger says the battery is "full"- Normally, its never been a problem, the charger has an automatic float.

1 hour later, i smell something funny. i run downstairs, and holy @#!!@, the battery is on FIRE.

Luckly I keep two extwingishers handy nearby, so I put the battery out. It looks like the whole battery wasnt "hot"- but the top of the battery was completely melted.

Any ideas what happened? it took me 2 hours to clean up, the extinguisher left a mess.....

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Never heard of such a thing.

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Charging a battery produces explosive fumes to emit from it, the hotter the battery gets, the more fumes. I used to work in a battery shop, saw many batteries blow up, spark igniting the fumes.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think it's nitrogen that is emited out the top of a battery but I'm not positive. Regardless, it is very explosive. I almost had the same thing happen to me. When I bought my '01 dodge it still had the original battteries in it and I got home one day and saw steam coming from under the hood. It was the battery emiting flammable gas. :doah:

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's hydrogen gas. The air on the earth is something like 80% Nitrogen. If nitrogen was explosive, the earth would be on fire. :grin:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

earth on fire??

Dont worry--if the earth catches fire,the Tsunami's will put the fires out---:D

Is it just me,or has the weather gone coo-coo this year?? I'm beginning to wonder if Nostradamus was right--maybe this IS the end of the world as we know it??--floods in CA,feet of snow in NV,more floods on OH and WV--it even snowed in Texas last week!,and the earthquakes and tidal waves?.. Maybe its time to build an ark?......:confused: :1zhelp:

I spent some time in a battery shop as a kid too--one day the owner was brazing a flagpole together he made from 2 peices of tubing that slid inside each other for his yard--he paused and pulled the torch back to inspect the welds,and I saw a huge flash and explosion,I ran into the next room,ready to dial 911--he called me back into the room and said "no biggie!"-"crap,I wrecked two new batteries!--hey,shut the charger off for me ,will ya?"--and he kept on welding like nothing ever happenned!--I looked at the table where several batteries were hooked in paralell to an old tungar bulb charger--two out of about six batteries were splattered all over the cinder block walls,and the marble table top was fizzing like spilled soda--he just had me throw lots of baking soda on the whole mess and shut off the charger--the next day we hosed the shop out with a garden hose,and a lot of the cinder blocks inner face washed away when we sprayed them with the water!!--Hydrogen gas was the cause of the explosion,,he told me--he said "Same thing that the Hindenburg had happen,they used Hydrogen because Heluim was too costly and hard to get"..glad I wasnt on that blimp!..:crazy:

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i got my lesson at 20.. was wrenching on my wifes Nissan Pulsar. i had just shut off the charger after a couple hr charge. i had a 1" combo wrench in my hand and dropped it. well, you can guess where it landed, right on the 2 posts. practically blew that thing it half.. still got that scarred up wrench too. :wink1:

funny thing about battery acid is it wont do a damn thing to your clothes until ya put it in the wash and they come out like swisscheese... :eek:

i'm used to it these days tho.. must replace 30 to 40 8D's a year these days in the diesel boats... always fun humpin 80lb batteries out of a bildge... your pretty garaunteed to get some acid on ya... :frown1: my work cloths go thru utter hell :rotfl:

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry, hydrogen it is then. I slept my way through chemistry class. :rotfl: