Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery went up in flames!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. Pookster

    Pookster 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2000
    Posts:
    3,195
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    NYC, NY, USA
    Stuck an old battery on the charger. This battery has been giving me problems for a while, but what the hell right? So I toss it on the charger, and just to make sure its charging, I attach a 12V florecent light.

    The automatic charger says the battery is "full"- Normally, its never been a problem, the charger has an automatic float.

    1 hour later, i smell something funny. i run downstairs, and holy @#!!@, the battery is on FIRE.

    Luckly I keep two extwingishers handy nearby, so I put the battery out. It looks like the whole battery wasnt "hot"- but the top of the battery was completely melted.

    Any ideas what happened? it took me 2 hours to clean up, the extinguisher left a mess.....
     
  2. justhorsinaround

    justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Posts:
    6,798
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Northerish Phoenix, Az
    Never heard of such a thing.
     
  3. 3 on the tree

    3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2004
    Posts:
    3,970
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    gunnison colorado
    Charging a battery produces explosive fumes to emit from it, the hotter the battery gets, the more fumes. I used to work in a battery shop, saw many batteries blow up, spark igniting the fumes.
     
  4. rjfguitar

    rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2002
    Posts:
    9,097
    Likes Received:
    144
    Location:
    california
    I think it's nitrogen that is emited out the top of a battery but I'm not positive. Regardless, it is very explosive. I almost had the same thing happen to me. When I bought my '01 dodge it still had the original battteries in it and I got home one day and saw steam coming from under the hood. It was the battery emiting flammable gas. :doah:
     
  5. 84_Chevy_K10

    84_Chevy_K10 Banned

    Joined:
    May 30, 2001
    Posts:
    17,669
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    IL, USA
    It's hydrogen gas. The air on the earth is something like 80% Nitrogen. If nitrogen was explosive, the earth would be on fire. :grin:
     
  6. diesel4me

    diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2003
    Posts:
    17,577
    Likes Received:
    945
    Location:
    Massachussetts
    earth on fire??

    Dont worry--if the earth catches fire,the Tsunami's will put the fires out---:D

    Is it just me,or has the weather gone coo-coo this year?? I'm beginning to wonder if Nostradamus was right--maybe this IS the end of the world as we know it??--floods in CA,feet of snow in NV,more floods on OH and WV--it even snowed in Texas last week!,and the earthquakes and tidal waves?.. Maybe its time to build an ark?......:confused: :1zhelp:


    I spent some time in a battery shop as a kid too--one day the owner was brazing a flagpole together he made from 2 peices of tubing that slid inside each other for his yard--he paused and pulled the torch back to inspect the welds,and I saw a huge flash and explosion,I ran into the next room,ready to dial 911--he called me back into the room and said "no biggie!"-"crap,I wrecked two new batteries!--hey,shut the charger off for me ,will ya?"--and he kept on welding like nothing ever happenned!--I looked at the table where several batteries were hooked in paralell to an old tungar bulb charger--two out of about six batteries were splattered all over the cinder block walls,and the marble table top was fizzing like spilled soda--he just had me throw lots of baking soda on the whole mess and shut off the charger--the next day we hosed the shop out with a garden hose,and a lot of the cinder blocks inner face washed away when we sprayed them with the water!!--Hydrogen gas was the cause of the explosion,,he told me--he said "Same thing that the Hindenburg had happen,they used Hydrogen because Heluim was too costly and hard to get"..glad I wasnt on that blimp!..:crazy:
     
  7. ryoken

    ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2003
    Posts:
    29,624
    Likes Received:
    1,380
    Location:
    Jersey Shore
    i got my lesson at 20.. was wrenching on my wifes Nissan Pulsar. i had just shut off the charger after a couple hr charge. i had a 1" combo wrench in my hand and dropped it. well, you can guess where it landed, right on the 2 posts. practically blew that thing it half.. still got that scarred up wrench too. :wink1:

    funny thing about battery acid is it wont do a damn thing to your clothes until ya put it in the wash and they come out like swisscheese... :eek:

    i'm used to it these days tho.. must replace 30 to 40 8D's a year these days in the diesel boats... always fun humpin 80lb batteries out of a bildge... your pretty garaunteed to get some acid on ya... :frown1: my work cloths go thru utter hell :rotfl:
     
  8. rjfguitar

    rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2002
    Posts:
    9,097
    Likes Received:
    144
    Location:
    california
    Sorry, hydrogen it is then. I slept my way through chemistry class. :rotfl:
     

Share This Page