Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

battery wiring

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ColAdo82K5, Sep 9, 2001.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    How are your dual batteries wired ? like for instance this terminal runs to here, this one runs here etc. Also what gauge wire are you running ? any special ideas forhooking this up ? I'm a gas engine boy but I'm installing dual batteries soon. Already have the tray on. I'm not using an isolator just 2 regular style batteries. Dual batteries may be slight overboard for my purposes but that's why i'm running a simpler route and not the optimas with an isolator. I'm keeping to costs down with a junkyard diesel tray and regular batteries. thanks.
    blake

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

There are two cables on the passenger side pos terminal one goes to drivers side pos terminal and the other to the starter. The neg terminal on the drivers side grounds to the manifold and the passenger side to the alternator bracket. The gauge of the cable is the same on all cables.

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would suggest 2 guage cable or bigger. I am running 0 guage cable from my passenger battery to my starter. You don't wanna know about melted wires and melted batteries!! Helps starting alot too!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!