Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battle of the mice...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Feb 1, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Fighting a battle with mice in the house at the moment. I got one last night. Turns out the glueboards I have are poisoned cause that sucker was stone dead and shriveld like he'd been there a month. He dragged the glueboard to the hole in the basement where they are entering :D so those little mothers are going down!

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Put steel wool in the hole. We use it to keep them out of our utility room. They hate the stuff and can't or won't chew through it. Its also cheap and safe around kids/pets. You can also get a bb gun, a case of beer, a demented friend or two and go on mouse safari, although my wife seems to prefer the steel wool method. :whistle:

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

steel wool sounds good. I was gonna use spray foam in the hole but I think it may allow water to drain out of my basement so steel wool will allow water to pass.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

dang, the glueboard I put in front of that hole is moved. Its all dirty and the peanut butter is gone. Must have been covered in dirt and the dirt stuck but not the mouse.

5. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

20 ga. come on you know you want too. Time to teach the children how to shoot. really i've used them sticky pads and even new ones i've seen mice pry themselves off of.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Any glue trap mice I find living get dispatched by 12 gauge on the front lawn

Oh, once I decapitated a seemingly drunk or poisoned one on my kitchen counter with a Buck 119T

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm telling you, that mouse looked like it had been dead for a week. So the glue traps I have must have some pretty good poison on them. That or a vampire mouse came along and sucked him dry.... hmm maybe I should be using cross shaped glueboards?

8. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

all growing up my dad would just get this remington 22 revolver we have an put some rounds with shot in it rather than a regular bullet. He would set a piece of bread out and cap those mo fo's. To date he got two in the house that way and one in the garage. It makes for great stories here in Los Angeles cause nobody gets down like that around here.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

best story of pest control around my house is as follows.

Not long after we moved into the house we are in now(moved in a month before I was born), mom and dad enterained some friends. Dad had been on the hunt for a certain groundhog for a bit. He got a few around the house, but this one was smart. It would hear the click of the safety on the gun and run. If you say a groundhog can't do that, you don't know what you are talking about cause I've had them run on me when I flicked the safety before. Anyway, he grabbed his 12 guage, and went to the front door after spotting this sucker out the big bay window we have in the back. He flipped the safety off as soon as he was out of the house. He crept around the house, pulled up, and boom Groundhog Soup. He then went back in for their Spaghetti dinner... forgetting that he just blew this guy away behind the house with an audience looking out the big bay window :D Got to love my old man sometimes. Sadly there is now a development behind the house and a few houses next door where there used to be woods. So we can't shoot pests anymore.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I had a rat problem in my basement last year and the year before. Come to think of it, they're actually gone for good now... I used the expanding foam, but if they want in, the foam might as well be food...

Cement. They'll chew through that (rats at least), but it'll take em a couple years.

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I know of two safe rodent controls: #1- five gallon bucket of water about half full with pieces of bread in it and a small board for a ramp up to the bucket. The mice and rats will walk the plank and jump in to get the bread, but they can't get out and drown. #2- A bowl with any kind of carbonated beverage in it- they will drink it, but they can't burp or pass gas so the carbonation makes them rupture internally.

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Wierd

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This one works, I actually tried it thinking it wouldn't, but surprisingly found a mouse in it. I had tied a string across the top and hung the cheese or bread (I forget the bait) from it.
    Oh yeah, we had mice and rats... The rats burrowed about 30-40 cubic feet under a crawl space, near a hole under the back door frame. I wouldn't have been surprised if I found possum under there...