Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BAY AREA HEAD COUNT!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Quetzal_SJ, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Hey Folks,

Well in the last couple of days I have been noticing a few first gen Blazers/Jimmys. Just would like to see if the owners of those rigs are members of this post. If Bay Area members could please post a pic and brief description of your ride that would be cool. I am in San Jose,Ca and am the 3rd and proud owner of a 71 Jimmy 4x4. Toppless right now.I am sporting a flashy grey primer with black bumpers. Under the hood is a 327, not to sure on how to confirm the 327. I have no lift with 31inch diggers and lots of plans.Thanks, oh and my name is Lico.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey Lico,

If you have seen a topless beautiful red '72 with 35" tires, Ralley wheels, a grey cloth interior, that is JBOY.
    If you have seen a topless grey primer '72 with 35" tires, and Alcoas and black rollbar,no interior...that's ME
    There is a white GMC lifted with a partial softtop that belongs to Pawl...he works at 4WheelParts on Lafayette

I think there is a guy with a red, lifted K5 w/40's in Fremont...who goes bt the name of 1HIHUM. Haven't seen that truck in person, but I'd sure like to.

Hope that helps get the list going....

-Greg72

ps. How'd your axle swap turn out?

3. Ryan_B

Ryan_B Registered Member

HEY
    I'm located in the Bay area too. Campbell area.
    I got a Maroon/Black '72 K/5 With a Black hard top & black soft top. 6 point padded rollcage. My K/5 has 6" lift, 8" springs rear, with 35" BFG Mud terrains on Alcoa's.
    355 cu in./TH350 For pic's of my K/5 go to:
    http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer

A couple of my friends have a '72 K/5 and live a couple miles away from me.
    One of mt friends has a Dark Green '72 K/5 with a 388 stroker smallblock & 1 Ton running gear, 4" lift 33" Muds,

My other buddy has a beautiful White '72 K/5 with 6" suspension lift, 2" body lift, 36" swampers & bushwacker fender flares ? HE's got about $3500 into body & paint work and it shows!

4. Quetzal_SJ

Hello,
    Cool, thanks guys. Would realy like to see your blazer Greg and hear it. Seeing how we were both on the same hunt for some time. Sure glad that its over and we found are K5s. Now for the fun part of selecting witch mods and gizmos go on the riges. I met someone the other day who has a 2wd 71 that has every trick and custom work done to it that you could want on a hot rod. He is going to do my sheet metal work and weld spring perches on my 14bolt for a third of any quote that I have gotten. I sure love saving a BUCK! Well must get back to work now any other Bay Area folks out there?

Later, Lico

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I live in Foster City, work in north-east San Jose. I'll be driving the silver/grey Blazer tomorrow... '72, 32" mudders, 5-spoke Eagle #63 alloy wheels, 357, NV4500, white top (has leprosy since at least one of the previous black paint jobs on the top keeps peeling), silver/grey body, with black rocker trim and factory spare tire carrier on tailgate/quarter. You'll know it's me if you see orange disc brake calipers in the back.

My hunting partner lives in Napa. '72, red with white top, 33" mudders, M/T wheels, 4" lift, black Corbeau Targa RS Wide seats, 383 (hyd. roller), disc brakes all around (strange how all of the vehicles around me end up with disc brakes all around).

6. Steve_Chin

Cool lookin' rig, Ryan.

Hey, who is gonna go to California Blazer-fest? Post to the thread on that subject...

7. JBOY

JBOY Registered Member

hey, it's me, JBOY. i've been "missing" from the Mboard with work but that ended tuesday in a layoff :) nothing like a forced vacation, esp with the perfect weather. i have the red '72, 4" lift & 35's. my web page is currently offline since it was on my employer's server but i hope to have it back up this week.

i think i saw and HEARD Ryan's blazer this week. while waiting at an intersection he passed thru in front of me on San Tomas expwy, looked and sounded GREAT! there's been a white/primer topless blazer down the street at a baseball practice recently, don't know the owner and i've also seen 2 different blue blazers in this area.

still unsure of attending the cali blazer fest which is why i've been so slow to reply. i hope to at least drive in for a day. see you all soon!
    John

JBOY

8. blazerparts

blazerparts Registered Member

Hey Lico,

It is Abe from WATERFRONT VINTAGE BLAZER, SF bud, our shop Blazer is stored out in San Jose it is a 1971 Tri Coat White 2wd w/ Saddle Interior on 18' Weld Zeta wheels and powerd by a 408 Rat TH400 12 Bolt posi.

9. Quetzal_SJ

Glad to see that the count is growing!
    Abe I am going to try and drive up there on Sat. 28 will you be in the shop? If so I will take the half cab up so you could check it out. Maybe we could work out a little trade or somthing. As for the count nobody has described the four that I have seen a few times. They are some great riges out there. Maybe we should plan a little BBQ at a park to rub elbows.

KEEP THEM COMING!

10. Ryan_B

Ryan_B Registered Member

Hey JBOY.
    Couldn't miss your cherry red '72 K/5 when I saw you on san thomas expressway!
    Sorry to hear 'bout your layoff.

I've seen lots of blazers around here!
    3 different blue blazers,
    1 Aqua green
    1 yellow
    1 Orange/primer
    1 White
    Too many to count! Its really awsome to see that all these other K/5's are really frickin' nice!
    I know of probally 10 first gen blazers within 5 miles of my house. All of em damn sweet in one way or another!

11. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Come you guys. Sign up to go....
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=firstgen&Number=102117&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5>http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=firstgen&Number=102117&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5</A>

12. Steve_Chin

I often see a yellow GMC Jimmy (can't tell what year) on US 101 in the Mountain View area. There's a charcoal-colored '72 Blazer with a soft top that is often parked about a half mile from my house. Haven't been able to find out who owns that either.

13. Wraparound

Wraparound Registered Member

Goin to SAC?

14. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

Hi Abe:
    I finally got the Hatch/Latch mechanisms installed properly! Phew! The Pass side old latch [converted from '67 suburban L liftgate latch] had broken a return spring and musclef#cking it in frustration only pulled the relay rod end out of its hole. But that locked up the Tailgate but good. When I got back to Tucson I drilled a small hole in the back of the hatch to pick off the latch ear but it missed and so finally I got it by fishing around with a relay rod and catching it right. Replacing the R latch with the '69 one you supplied me was another challenge. '69 year models had 4 mounting bolts and '71s [or GMCs?] have only 3. Compounding the problem was the fact that the re-pop Hatch from Brothers was 1/8-inch off in the weldnut positions so I had to open up the latch holes with a rattail file to match.
    Anyway with the new lock mechanism It appears to work OK with the possibility of some fine tuning my "timing." That is, the drivers side latch pops first, then the passenger side, and I think they should pop at the same time...
    So Abe thanks for your help and technical support.If anyone saw a maui blue/wht-topped '71 GMC during the first week of April Cruising Chinatown and the Arab Quarter, that was Blue Thunder--dazed in a fog looking for Abe's shop at 36th and Judah. Fun place to visit, but give me the wide open spaces anyday!
    Adios,
    Brian

15. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

Lico: If you want to ID your 327 look for the serial stamped into the block at the edge of the head plane. Your local Chevy dealer sould be able to look up the id number and tell you the year, model vehicle, trans type, and (I think?) color of the original rig it was in. 327s were not stock in K/5s, but my Jimmy had one in it until I blew it up trying to jet down a Holley 780 cfm doublepumper to try passing emissiions. Now I'm happy with 350 crate mill.

16. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Hihum here. Greg had it right, I'm in Fremont. Red 72 with 40's on it. 8" suspension lift, 3" body, 1 ton rear, 3/4 front axles. ZZ4 crate motor. I have a buddy who lives in Sunnyvale with a sweet red one as well( he has one of the few next gen soft tops from Kayline). I know a couple of other guys here in fremont with some nice first gen. blazers too.

[image]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1328774&a=9975627&p=33244094[/image]

17. Quetzal_SJ

Cool thanks for the info I think I am going to need a mirror and a good light. Get right on it this weekend I would like to know. If its a 327 or not.

Glad to see the Bay area count is still growing slowly but surly!.