Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bazer top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sikZ28, Jul 23, 2006.

1. sikZ28

sikZ28 1/2 ton status

I have used the search feature and really haven't found what I needed. :confused:

My question is, how much does the top off of my 80 K5 weigh?

I want to take it off but I will be doing it by myself. :crazy:

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

how big are u??..

I hope your a linebacker,those tops are not as light as they look!--I took my full top off my 72 K5 a few times alone,and it was NOT easy!..

I had to lift it off with my back ,"wearing" it like a turtle shell,and walked it down a ramp from the tail gate!--I bolted a 2x4 to it so I could have a "handle" to lift it ..after nearly getting a hernia doing it this way a few times,I opted to either have friends help,or I backed the K5 up to a retaining wall in my yard nearly the same height as the truck bed,and slid it off,rather than carry it..I also slid it onto the bed of my pickup I had at the time...it made it a lot easier..

Your "half" top may not be quite as heavy,but its still a big load for one man to do it alone..I'd look for help, or rig up a hoist to lift it off...unless you don't care if it gets dropped or cracked!...I mucked mine up every time I took it off alone..:doah:

3. sikZ28

sikZ28 1/2 ton status

I think I will wait until I have help, no need for a hernia. :thinking:

thanks for the help!! :thumb:

4. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I had to lift it off with my back it like a turtle shell also, and had a person run to help we still scuffed the truck with it. I say they weigh around 300 lbs but they are not a balanced weight.

I have thought of making a rig in the shape of H putting two hooks for the rear and two for the window opening then rigging a pulley and cable system attached to a come along to raise it then hold it up. I got the ideal from a jeep hoist.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I actually weighed my old half top a few years back. Mine had slider windows and weighed in at 188 lbs. I've removed it myself a few times, but I don't recomend it...

My full vert topper weighs probably 50-75 lbs more than the half top, so I rigged a boat winch off a beam in my carport to lift it off the easy way.

Rene

6. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

I took the top off my 81 by myself before like stated above on my back like a turtle.I walked down a set of atv ramps I had with it .Lets just say I asked for help putting it back on lol

7. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

now, i have 2 ropes with hooks on one end of each hanging fromt the garage cieling. i back in,slide the ropes in under the top, latch them to rope loops on the cieling, and drive out. no problem. before that, i slid old towels between the bed and top, then slid it back until i could balance it on my back. to put it on, i propped it against the towels, shoved it straight up, then walked it back on. you don't have to be huge i'm not (5'10, 190) but you do need to be strong enough to control the bulk. my friend is about 6'2 200 and it squished him when he tried it. glad i was there to catch it, not that i recommend that. "buddy system" is the way to go when you can, i say.