Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BB Crankshaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78GMC1/2TON4x4, Oct 10, 2004.

1. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

78GMC1/2TON4x4 1/2 ton status

whats up with the high prices of cranks? ive looked in jegs and summit and there both really high priced. maybe its just me but its outrageous. im going to buy a BB from a buddy and it has a low end knock, so its 450 with the bad crank. anybody know of a cheap place to pick one up? or is it worth getting a used one? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Try Competition Products in Oshkosh Wisconson.
    web page

Cast Steel Crankshaft Part # GM454
    Big Block Chev Cast Steel crankshaft. Stock stroke(4.00") Two piece rear main seal.
    Price: $189.95

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh whats in jegs & summit catalogs are the super 4340 forged lightweight stroker racin pieces lol. Depends on what u want.

4. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

That place will smoke summit or jegs price on them too. I bought a 4.25" stroke cola 4340 crank from there.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

it all depends on what you plan on doing as far as a motor Rebuild. An Eagle 4340 Crank is a great buy for the money. a cast crank for a motor under 400 hp. is fine

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I usually go to swap meets when looking for blocks,heads and cranks--but you have to be careful not to buy something that has been reworked incorrectly.I went to one at a local racetrack with a friend last year,he scored a freshly reground 427 steel crank with rods for 150 bucks--much less than turning his old one. You might also try calling some local automotive machine shops in your area--many times they do work on someones crank or even a whole motor rebuild,and the customer either dissapears or gives up on his dreams when real life comes calling,and has to bail out.I've seen guys buy a complete rebulit big block at one machine shop, a guy stiffed them and never came back--they sold him the engine for 600 bucks,only 100 more than their cost to rebuild it.This happens more often than you think--its worth calling around,even if they dont have anything there,the machinists often know someone who does--Good luck!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

Re: BB

the motor is all stock. im going to just bolt on a new edelbrock intake and im deciding which carb i want and how big. im also going to throw in a new cam. any suggestions for some great power and a nice exhaust rumble?

8. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

Re: BB

anyone?