Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BB vs sb ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74757685k5, Mar 20, 2005.

1. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

is a 454 worth the extra weight. i have sb 400 now.6in lift and dont want it to sag lower.

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've read that a BBC with aluminum heads, and aluminum intake is about the same weight as an ALL cast iron SBC.

but if your gonna go with a little extra weight you might as well skip right past that 396/402 and look for a 454 or bigger. :grin: Theres no replacement for displacement.
    If we're talking mildly built 350 vs a stock 454, well sometimes they can be a dog in stock form... I'd rebuild it and make a healthy Rat that you know will rock.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

toss up---

When I took out the stock 74 454 in my 74 K20,and replaced it with a stock 400 small block from a 78 suburban,I think the 400 actually went better!--its a few hunded pounds lighter..but the 454 might have been tired,so I cant say if this is true in all cases..the 400 had high milage too though..
    If I had my choice,I'd rather have the big block--the gas mileage is no worse really,and the tourque and bling factor alone makes the big block more desireable in a way-but both are good motors.....:crazy:

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I say heck ya it's worth it. who care if is sags a lil bit more in the front. When you press the go-pedel and your grinning from ear to ear with power you won't care your rear sticks up a bit more than your front:D

I started my BBC saturday night(still haven't drove it yet) and man I couldn't stop grinning just from the noise a RAT makes...AWSOME!

5. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

BBC +1 Vote

:)

I highly reccommend one if you have the means... I've owned several BBC's and a few Mopar's along the way. The torque advantages are significant unless you want to spend some serious coin building a stroker mouse.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I vote SBC... I have a built 350 with aluminum heads and intake in my truck (LWB with 3/4ton running gear) and love the light weight and have plenty of power compared to mild BBC's at the sled pulls my truck weighed in a 4900LBS which is pretty light considering its a complete truck with nothing cut out. But Im actually wanting to build a BBC next but I say if your gonna go with a BBC go BIG (I want a 540 with close to 700HP on pumpgas) 468's and 498's are good choices:D

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

BBC - You will not wonder if you made the right choice after the first test drive !

Tom