Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BB vs. SB

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Apr 24, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I was thinking about dropping in 454 in the near future, and thinking about the gas mileage, fitment, and any other things I should know before doing it?. Also, what are the advantages over a small block?

Money->Blazer

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

When my trucks old motor blew up, I thought about a BB instead of the regular 350. The main reason I got another small block is because of parts costs. I mean have you checked the price of new heads for a BB? Its ridiculous how much those things are going for. And other parts are the same. Starter, alt, intake, headers, etc. To my knowledge, EVERYTHING is quite a bit cheaper with a SB.
    With that said, over 400 ft/lbs of torque from a stock motor would be nice to have in any situation.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

I agree with 73K5, I have often thought about it myself, but then I think about the $$$. Gas for a 350 is already bad enough, I know a 350 gets only a few MPG better, but in the big scheme of things it will all add up in the future. On the other hand you can't beat the brute strength of a big block, you will always have that extra HP & torqe when you need it.
    As you can see you are not the only one faced with this question.

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

One other thing to consider is that a big block, because of it's higher output, will work a lot less harder than a small block. Hopefully this means less overall wear and theoretically a longer lifespan, which may make it worth the extra gas and repair cost.........

5. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

The only thing I can say is "if you got the money to spend on a BB do it" I will save money to buy me a 454 for my rig I've been wanting to put one in there but my famous words are "no money" so pretty soon I hope.

keep blazin !!!

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

One more thing to consider...
    A BB probably outweighs a SB by 200 lbs. or so. That's even more weight over the frontend, which means more front axle wear (bearings, brakes, balljoints, etc.), more power needed to start and stop the weight, and the possibility that you may have to upgrade your front springs to support the extra weight. But, if you've got the money and the desire for it, I say go for it. There's certainly enough room for it!!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

7. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Go Caddy Big Block. This is the only way to go. I had a well built 427 and a stock 454 in my 73 blazer and they can not touch this stock Caddy 500 engine so far. I had 3.73 in it and broke all the pinion teeth off of it. So I put in a rear end that I had around the house and it had 3.08 in it. I still can do burn outs with 3.08 and 31 inch tires. I will know in a couple of weeks what the mileage is so I will let you all know. Stock caddy's with 2.73 and 28 inch tire will get around 15 -19 mpg. I think this is the way to go. I am just a caddy engine nut, I put them in everything. Good luck on the search for more power.

Donovan

8. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

I hate to go against the grain here, I'd go with a SB. Having said that, what do you want to do with the BB? Towing, bogging, sand? Having run both (SB in blazer and super late model, BB in the Hauler), the SB is a lot more economical all the way around. From gas to parts. The hauler with the normal towing and performance goodies gets 9 mpg on a great day. Towing the car with a tool box and other stuff to support the car, the hauler gets 5-6 mpg. The blazer with a 383 gets 12-14 mpg and has good numbers on the dyno. I've towed a 7000lbs RV up 6 percent grades and trounced 454s and 460s to the top and still get 9-10 Mpg. 'Course there is something special about the growl of a BB...unless it's the scream of a SB.

Hope this doesnt upset the assembled masses here a CK5.

Just a thought..

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I do tow my dad's boat a lot, and if I'm going up a hill, the SB is STRAINING! The boat is 28' long and i'm sure how much it weighs but its a helluvalot so I am seriously considering a 454. I also thought of the Caddy, but parts are more easily found for the 454.

Money-->Blazer

10. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Caddy engines cost the same or a couple hundred dollars more to build than a Big Block Chevy. Plus they are only 25 lbs more than a small block, if you get the edelbrock manifold you can lose nother 40lbs of that.

Donovan