Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BBC 402?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Oct 23, 2003.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna sell my BBC 402 as I'm tired of walking around it in the garage. Can someone tell me what it's worth? Thanks. Here's a little bit of info:

Chevy Factory 402 BBC – 2 Bolt Main
    Production Date: Sep 20, 1971
    Block Casting #: 3999290

Was a factory (warranty) replacement motor for a 1972 Chevelle.

NEW: Comp Cams 268H; Distributor, Harmonic Balancer; Water Pump, High Volume Oil Pump, Holley TBI adapter. (Approx 550 Invested in parts)

Heads completely redone with hardened seats and new valves. ($350)

Bottom half of engine was rebuilt prior to me purchasing the block. Was partially disassembled by a professional mechanic and determined good.

I'll put up for sale in the F/S forum after I determine what seems to be an appropriate asking price.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I dunno.....

The 396/402 engines really were the "smallest" of the big blocks.... so powerwise they're going to be at a disadvantage to their 454 brothers.

That being said, it IS a vintage motor and it would seem more "correct" for swapping into, say....a 1st Gen Blazer, or 1972 Suburban (wink wink) depending on who's looking at it, those can be important nostalgia points that add $$$

I've heard that a bare 454 block in good condition should fetch between $500 - $700 these days. I'm not sure how to compare "apples to oranges" and evaluate what that means a complete 402 is worth.....but it's a single data point you can start from.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I was kinda thinking $1000, but not sure. I know that to get an engine like this from most places, you would also have a $500 core. Anyway, If it do't sell, I'll build another shed /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I know that the later 402's such as the 1972 model was not nearly as powerful as the late 60's models....but it sounds like there is a fair amount of mods to it. If the block numbers are correct then you may be better off selling it to someone restoring a 1972 Chevelle and wants it to be original/numbers matching. How to go about that, I dunno /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have the same engine from a 72 Camaro SS, and the power is dissappointing, but maybe mine is just lame /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

$1000 seems a little high to me, for a 402 even on good shape like yours. I'd guess $800 tops.

I had a 402, block casting number 3999289, had all of the correct 402 parts inside, correct 402 4.125" bore diameter, etc. It also had clearance notches cast in the block for a larger stroke crankshaft, which got my curiosity peaked. It turns out it was actually a 454 block, that had only been bored out to 4.125"!

Anyway, since it was a 454 block in reality, I decided to stuff it with 454 parts, but alas, stroker parts weren't that much more expensive! Now its a 489 with a 4.28 bore and 4.25 stroke! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That 402 might be the "smallest" (except 396) of the big blocks, but its still a keeper! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

As far as the $1000, it was a semi-educated SWAG as I had no idea. Your comments make sense to me. I'm thinking of putting it in the local Thrifty Nickel to check on interest. There is also a Camaro shop here I might check with. If I don't sell it I won't be sad. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can always hang onto in it & maybe put it in my K30 (bought recently w/ rebuilt 350).

Thanks for your words.

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I sold a bone stock 402 on ebay for 400.00. no carb or anything..............................................