Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BBC (454) Build-up suggestions?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by HDFXB, Oct 12, 2002.

1. HDFXB

HDFXB Registered Member

I've decided to build a 454 for my 92 4X4. I basically have two options, just can't decide which way to go.

OPTION 1: I can buy a 454 fresh from the machine shop that has 10.2 to 1 pistons, and all the rings, bearings, gaskets, etc ready to assemble. Still needs manual flywheel and should be re-balanced. Also need to buy a cam. The block is a 2 bolt main, and the heads are done. Heads are "781" casting large oval port. Cost is $1500.

OPTION 2: I have a rebuildable 454 2 bolt main, "045" casting heads from a 90 SS 454 truck (?). Needs a valve job, block honed or bored and crank polished. Rebuild kit and machine work will run about 750. Heads are the small oval port and will accept a TBI intake.

PLAN: I want to keep the build up as low cost as possible, yet net some big torqe and reliability numbers. I also want to use the factory TBI injection. I was planning on using the Edelbrock TBI intake (which is for the small oval port heads) the Edelbrock 2162 cam, and a set of headers.

Any suggestions? The biggest difference is in the compression ratio and the port size of the heads. I don't want to run racing fuel, but am willing to use 92 octane gas. Second is if the pain of another intake and adapter to fit the large oval heads is worth the trouble. I want torque and will be keeping the RPMs below 4 grand. Cruise will be around 2400 RPM. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif THANKS!

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

the rpm range you plan on working in should work nicely with the small port heads, should have good throttle response and lots of low end, I would go with option two, that also sidesteps the higher compression of the other option.

3. HDFXB

HDFXB Registered Member

Thanks for the input. That was the way I was leaning, just needed someone to sanity check me. This will be my first 454 build, and hopefully the last for a while! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif