Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BBC accessory brackets

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DieselBurb, May 3, 2004.

1. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

Until I can figure out what's wrong with the 6.2 boat anchor /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, I need to swap in a BBC ('71 402 - 300 HP, 400 ft-lb /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif). What I need is some pictures of a BBC showing the a/c, alt, and p/s mountings. My a/c is on the driver's side and the alt is on the passenger's side. I can figure out the alt brackets and one of the a/c brackets, but I can't figure out how the p/s pump is mounted. I have one bracket that gmpartsdirect.com says is the a/c support bracket, but it's kind of funky shaped and I don't know how it is used.

Please /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif!!

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

hey i got alot of pics of my 88 motor (dont know if same brackets as urs or not), before I pulled it here , also have some pics of the motor on a stand and in the truck, in the link below. Hope that helps somewhat.

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I can get pics posted for yo if you dont figure it out, just post up here or pm me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. DieselBurb

Thanks. I'll have to try to look at them when I get home. Big Brother here seems to think that webshots is inappropriate for work /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif.

Supersize, I'll let you know, thanks.

5. DieselBurb

Thanks, K20, they are helpful, but I need to see a v-belt setup. Do you have something similar Supersize?

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Are you going to keep the hydro boost brakes? If so, when I swapped in the 350 for the 6.2 I had to modify the bracket to fit the powersteering pump reservoir from the 6.2 /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

7. DieselBurb

Yup, my intent is to use the gasser until I can get the boat anchor fixed. What kind of mods did you have to do?

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Basically I had to cut both brackets. Welded the part that bolts to the 6.2 pump to the part that bolts to the gasser block. I wasn't the prettiest, but it worked.

Here's what I've found out since. The standard vac booster system pumps are the same as the hydroboost pumps (according to Carquest, Napa, and Checkers), the reservoirs are different because the hydoboost has the extra return line and it enters through a fitting on the reservoir. I did some research about the hydroboost system and found several sites about retrofitting the hydroboost in place of vac boost. They were using the vac assist system pump and using a brass T-fitting to get the returns back into one line. This way you don't have to do the bracket hack and weld.

I've done this now on my K5 but I'm still finishing the install of a new motor so I haven't tested it yet. The supply line to the booster threaded right in so no problem there. They were using those retrofit kits in Corvettes and rock crawling rigs, so I figure t-ing the two returns lines must work.

Depending on how soon you needed it, I could send you my old bracket. I want to make sure everything works before I get rid of it, and I won't be done until early next week. That is if a bracket for the 350 works on a BB. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. DieselBurb

I won't be able to get to it until next week at the earliest (too many honey-do's /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif). I'll look at when I get to it and see if maybe I can make what I have in scrap steel work. If I can't I'll let you know. You rock /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif.

10. DieselBurb

Supersize, did you find any pics?

11. DieselBurb

My bad, K20. I was revisiting your pics last night and noticed that yours are v-belts as well /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. My eyes must have been crossed when I was looking the first time /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif.

I noticed that your setup has the small a/c compressor. Mine is the big long one /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif so they are different there. I don't remember, does yours have hydroboost or vac boost brakes? Your pictures did give me an idea as to how the big a/c bracket might be used.

Is there anyone else that might have some more pics that I could use?

12. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

that is the long one, well, the longest ive seen. It is prolly 10" long im guessing. That suburban had vac brakes on it.