Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BBC and 4L80 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by STEELERS920, Apr 8, 2005.

1. STEELERS920

STEELERS920 Newbie

I'm looking to swap out my sbc and 700r with the BBC and 4L80. I already have the complete BBC and trans. I was wondering what I can look forward to as far as expense and time. The engine and trans were out of a 69' 2wd Suburban so I think that I will have to get the tail housing changed. As of right now I have a 203 which I think I will keep so that down the line I would be able to get a 205 and hook up a doubler. What about the total length of the whole thing? I'm puting this into a 75' Blazer with a six inch lift and 36's. I have thought of going with a 8" lift to get some more room for 37"-38". I know that ORD has the motor mounts. I'm told that the engine put out about 500 hp. I have a D44 and a 12b, both have 456's and Tru-Tracs. How long should I expect the both to last? Thanks for the help.

2. STEELERS920

STEELERS920 Newbie

Any thoughts on this? Any help would be appriciated. Thanks

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

First, a 1969 Suburban is an odd place to find a 4L80E transmission. Are you sure you did not mean a 1989 2WD Suburban? Second, trying to mate a transfer case to a 2WD transmission could be more hassle than it is worth. I say...find a Turbo 400 and NP205 (because they are much easier to find) out of an old 4X4 that is being parted out, and then bolt it to your Big Block. With the small Dana-44 and 12-Bolt, make sure you do not punch the throttle on your BB too hard, or you can say goodbye to them.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

1 1/4" thick spacer made for 4l80-e 2x4 fixed yoke to figure 8 205 case. also need to change oil plug out from tranny to 4x4 plug. this is at the 3 oclock position on back of tranny. any questions just ask me.

205 spacer.jpg

5. STEELERS920

STEELERS920 Newbie

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did get the big block and the 4l80 out of my buddies 69' Suburban. He put it into a tree and I was able to get the complete engine and trans for a killer deal. I would like to use the tranny because I know that it was built to handle the ponies and it still has the overdrive. I think that I will have to put the big block in and use my 700r for now. I just got my motor mounts the other day, so I guess that it's about time to get it moving again. Thanks again for the help.