Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BBC Dyno combos

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Jun 26, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

A while back someone put up a link to some SBC dyno combos. I saved the link but was wondering if anyone had a link to some BBC dyno combos. Also, I tow alot with my '90 K5 and have considered a BBC. However, these days you can get 350+ lb./ft. of TQ easily out of a SBC. In fact many of the dyno results I see show SBC's getting TQ numbers up to 450 lb./ft. + which is close to, if not more than, some BBC's. I'm wondering if the added weight of the BBC is worth it.

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I used to think the same. Why not build SBC since the parts are readily available and all...but a BBC will have more torque no question from the floor on up. Just like a diesel will have more torque early in its rpm band also. SBC's are made to wind and if you want to keep you motor revved all the time that's the way to go. But for low end BBC beats out the SBC. ;)

I should know I had posted about this before. Mr goodwrench 350w/ set of headers was about the same peak specs as a stock tbi 454.... And I said for the price why not do SBC? But with the mr goodwrench in an 82 crew dually w/ 3.73's and th400 the motor will not spin even a pair of duals. On the other hand the 89 tbi 454 with 4.10's and a th400 will roll both pair of duals easily. I chirped them accidently yesterday and this is with 163k on the motor after it has been overheated a couple weeks ago and I need to find out if in fact it needs head gaskets or not! also the 350 has less than 30k on it. So there is a huge difference in the motors. I even think that the 454 puts out more tq than the factory claimed. a dd says it does.

3. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

SBC's may be getting large tq numbers as well, but where is that number in the rev band compared to a BBC?That is the main reason I love my BBC is b/c it makes PEAK torque at less than 2,500 rpm. I Personally feal the "weight debate" of a big block is a moot point. Our truck weigh a LOT to begin with. Throw on Some one ton axles and some 37+ inch tires and weight skyrockets. The extra weicht of BBC is no different that having a buddy ride shotgun. An aluminum intake with some aluminum heads will make you BBC way the same as an all iron SBC.

I personally don't think I will own anything but a big block or a diesel in any other truck I own (except for the turbo'd 355 that is going in my 71). The first time you romp on it in 2nd gear and the tires roast you are addicted....

Chris

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I am willing to bet after driving my 89 scotsdale crew dually (454tbi) when I find its issue and fix/rebuild the motor, I will not want another SBC :D well unless we are talking about in a fiero... but thats a whole new ballgame ;)

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

big blocks and power are addicting. According to desktop dyno, my 496 puts out 459hp and 649ft/lbs. I still want more.......I am pathetic.

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

gotta respect the dd!! <breaks out in chanting "respect" from adam sandler's skit>

:D man I need to get them old cds again LOL

Anyway the dd is a nice tool to have. I think chevy understated the #'s on the 89 454 tbi said to be 265hp and 350tq iirc and dd said 237 and 434 @ 9:1 comp ratio or 219 and 399 @8:1... makes ya think a lil.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

No, I replied on one of your tbi posts last nite w/ the numbers. IIRC it was 235hp and 385tq

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:yikes: :doah: yes the 265/350 was what I remember the factory ratings being from 89.... as in when dad bought the truck new. and the #'s I posted at 219/399 were the stock form of a 454 on the dd...

what are your #'s from?

Not that it matters they are very similar anyway :)

10. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Ok, yea I agree I'd probably rather have the BBC. One consideration is money. I already have the stock 350 TBI (weak) that I could rebuild. If I go w/ a 454 I would have to find an engine and rebuild it, basically starting from scratch. The second thing is induction. The only real option for a SBC as far as TBI goes is the stock unit or the Howell/Holley 670 CFM aftermarket unit. We all know how weak the stock units are and the 670 would be better but probably not all that great. What about on a 454? Which induction would be best? I would need to stick with a TBI or MPFI because of all the computer stuff wouldn't I?

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

from factory brochures lol.

12. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

LOL :D What year brochures?

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i dont remember, it was either 88 or 89.