Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BBC engine setup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aj_johnson, Jul 20, 2003.

1. aj_johnson

aj_johnson Registered Member

I am having alot of trouble with this 454 I just swapped, I can't get the alternator or power steering pump to fit right.. this is a 454 out of a 75 1 ton.. does anyone have some close-up pics that they could send me of their BBC that shows how it all works? AJ@fretel.com
    Thanks!!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

could be a dumb ?? but are you using big block brackets?? they are different. I would send pics, but no digital camera.

3. aj_johnson

yes, trying to... the donor engine didn't come with any, and I picked some up at a wrecking yard, dissassembled and cleaned them... now having trouble getting them back together.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

are u sure u got the right brackets? For instance, did u get a non AC equipped trucks brackets, and tryin to put it on a AC truck? Sometimes the alternator and AC compressor will swap sides.

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't know how I did it, but when I put a 454 in my 78 malibu, I used the SBC brackets and power steering. If you got brackets off another BBC, then they shouldn't have issues bolting up. If you need brackets, I think Mr. Gasket makes pretty chrome ones.

6. aj_johnson

well, this truck may have been A/C equipped... not sure.. the bracket that I got out of a junkyard is a 3 piece bracket... not sure how the piecesfit back together... and this uses a V-belt system rather than the serpentine system.. i've been looking all over the net for a pic of one that I can see how it works for the last 3 days... no luck yet. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. aj_johnson

btt, ty

8. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

What year truck did the donor come out of? I know the PS pump was different from a 80 to an 87 when I did my swap. Can't say for the alternator since I have an aftermarket bracket

9. aj_johnson

78 2wd c20 P.O.S. farm truck

10. aj_johnson

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I got my 454 from a 80 c30. with a/c. There are differences in years as to how pully's match up with brackets. My expeiance has always been to use the brackets and pully's from the same year. Some of the aftermarket pullys' are designed for the most popular versions and don't fit many truck applicatiions. When a friend of mine put a 454 in his 67 chevelle, he contactd "the paddock" and got all the correct pully's and brackets from them.

12. aj_johnson

well guys, bad news for me... I no longer need any info on this motor. Due to a family emergency, I gotta sell it and sell it fast. I also am selling my 8 lug J3000 mag slot rims..email me at AJ@fretel.com

13. aj_johnson