Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BBC guys- Exhaust Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Sep 4, 2006.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

In the process of a MPFI 468 swap in my '90 K5. Been looking for a mandrel bent exhaust kit. They are out there for K5's but I have only found them with 2 1/4" pipes. I've been told I need 2.5"-3" for a BBC. I was thinking that I could just have a local shop bend some pipes for me. No, they won't be mandrel bent, but if I started with 3" pipe then the restriction caused by the bends would drop it a little. I figure even with the restrictions I would still probably have 2.5" there, so I'd have at least a 2.5" pipe at the most restricted points. Opinions??? Anyone know of a vendor that will mandrel bend an exhaust sytem for my truck?

2. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Have you just looked at the big name shops or have you tried the independant shops? I'm in the same boat. I'm dropping a 496 in my k5 and I won't go any lower than a 3". I found a local guy that was independant and does mandrel 3". As soon as it's in, i'm dropping it off with him. He might very well be the only guy in town cuz it took half a dozen calls to find him.

if he comes back with a crazy price, i'm going to take a stab at running my own. Plan B is to buy one of those universal kits from summit or jegs that are 3" mandrel bent and a peice of flexible pipe for mock up.

:pimp: just got that idea bout using flex pipe for mock up... bend it to make the section you need and then replicate it with the real pipe by cutting the bend peices and welding them together.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I have just checked the major vendors. I have asked around and I don't know of anyone locally that does mandrel bends. I figured I'm gonna have to order it if I want mandrel bends. Also, I'm with you in that I'd like to go w/ 3" pipes.

4. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

No BBC guys w/ mandrel bent exhaust?

5. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Guess we'll be the first. :laugh:

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I got a true dual 2.5 on mine. A leftover of my 350 days, couldnt afford all new. Dropped it off at local shop, the guy really took his time. It isnt mandrel bent, but its damn close to being mandrel in the bend quality. Its all tucked up really nice. You'd be suprised what a local guy can do without doing it mandrel.

7. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

I'll be building my own. Gona either do a Dual 3" into a single 3.5" Supertrapp or single 3.5" pipe to the Supertrapp.

572 cubes need alot of breathin room.