Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BBC in distress!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sparky87k5, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

The bolt (1/2" SAE fine thread) that holds the harmonic balancer on my 427 has stripped out about half the threads. I installed a longer bolt to get into some new threads but fear I'm bottomed out and not clamping the balancer tight. Is there an oversize threaded bolt or am I going to have to pull the engine to repair this? Ideas? I've thought of installing a stud until it bottoms out and then use a nut and washer to pull the damper down tight. Has anyone ever come across a good repair for this problem?

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I did the same sheeeiittt on my 406. PISSED me off!! And it was BRAND NEW, never even fired it yet. I was like GAWD NO!!!

Anyways, went and bought a heli coil set, drilled it out to what it said, tapped it and put in the heli coil, been fine ever since!!

Good luck!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like you tried to use the bolt as a harmonic balancer installalation tool. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif That will strip out the end of the threads just about every time. The proper installation tool has a very long center bolt that bottoms into the crank, then pulls the balancer into place. Use the right tool to install the balancer, then use the longest bolt that will seat securely against the balancer, without bottoming out in the crank first. This will usually hold it in place for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif A couple of drops of Loctite on the threads before installation would be a good idea also. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif