Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BBC install help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leadfoot, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm finally getting ready to install my BBC, but have a few questions. I have a complete motor tin to tin, but need help with a few items. I'm running the GM Performance parts serpentine setup for the accessories.

I am trying to figure out where the oil pressure sending unit goes (on the original SBC it was on the back of the block by the distributor, but don't see a spot on the BBC), where the water temp sending unit goes (on the original SBC it was located on the side of the head but don't see any spot on the side of the BBC heads), and how to route the heater hoses (on the original SBC there was a line going from the intake to the heater core and from the heater core straight to the radiator).

The BBC I have now has a line going from the water pump to the intake, a hose coming off the thermostat housing (cut) and a hose coming off the front of the intake (cut). I'm assuming I can still run the line coming out of the heater core to the radiator as before (AKA heavy duty cooling), but was wondering which line on the intake to run to the heater core (the one on top of the water neck or the other fitting coming out of the front of the intake)? I would like to use a water neck with no fitting and run the heater core off the front of the intake, but wanted to make sure that would work.....Anyone have pictures of their setup (factory or aftermarket).

Thanks in advance.

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My oil sending unit hole was on top of where the oil fliter screws on

3. hero

hero Registered Member

My oil pressure sending unit was on the driver side of the block just above the oil pan towards the front. There is also a spot above the oil filter where it looks like you could put the sending unit as well. Mine had a plug there that could be removed. The temp sending unit just like my sbc, in the head. It could be on either side, but mine was on the drivers side as well. It is recessed a little bit, but it's about in line with the exhaust ports. My headers had a notch in the flange where the sending unit goes.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I saw a plug in the Front of the motor, right above the pan (I'm assuming that is where you are talking about and not on the side).

What year are your heads? I have looked all over and there is NO spot on the side for a sending unit (no plugs either). All there are is really BIG plugs on the front and rear of the heads. Is there a spot on the intake maybe????

5. hero

hero Registered Member

Mine is a 79. Yes, you could put a sending unit in the intake. There were two spots with the stock intake that I could put a sending unit. One had a broken one in it already, and the other place was in the thermostat housing. I'm not sure if the thermostat housing is the best place or not. :confused: I was going to hook up my factory electical gauge there and see if there was much of a temp difference between what I get at the head with my mechanical gage vs the thermo housing.

Regarding the oil. Mine was actually on the side, between the motor mount and the front of the block. But like I said before, you can also use the plug that is just above where the oil filter goes. I was going to put mine there, but couldn't get the plug out. I didn't try REAL hard, but enough that I started to round off the square plug so I gave up and used the other spot.