Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BBC oil pressure switch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GRAYTEXK5, Oct 21, 2005.

1. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

Can someone please tell me where the oil pressure switch goes, on a late 70's 454? the only place I can see that it would possibly go, is right above the oil filter. the previous owner of the motor had 3 adapters screwed in there, getting smaller as they go...and that's it. if I take out the smallest one, I can screw the pressure switch into the next one...but it seems like it sticks out really far, and it just doesn't look right to me. if anyone has any pics of where and how this should be mounted, that would help a lot. thanks.

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Mine was right above the oil filter too. Thats the only place that comes to my mind. You can get shorter adapters.

3. hero

hero Registered Member

Mine was just above the oil pan, drivers side almost all the way towards the front. Above the oil filter was capped on mine with a screw in plug. This was on a 79 454

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

above filter is factory spot.

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

There is an oil passage that runs the length of the block. The hole above the oil filter taps into it. There should be 4 holes (maybe 5) total spaced along the block, all 1/8" NPT. Then there is a hole in either end of the block (front and back) where the oil rail was drilled, and the plugs in this are larger (3/8" NPT maybe). You can plug all the holes if you want, or tap into the oil rail anywhere along it. Hope this helps.