Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BBC oil temp sender??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burt4x4, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Whatsssuup Gang

I am installing a oil TEMP gauge and the only hole in the block(454) I can find that is oil and not water is the hole right below the fuel pump mount. There was a plug there I took out.
    Will this hole work for oil temp sending unit? The sending unit fits in the threads just fine.
    Does that part of the block fill with oil?
    My guess is that it does to lubricate the fuel pump /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Any comments would be great!
    Thanks
    Burt

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I know it has oil, not sure if it fills, should work for your app. FYI Above your oil filter there should be a couple plugs that are oil, and on the drivers side near the front there should be a plug that is oil.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks, i'll have to look again by the oil filter. I seam to recal only one, the pressure sensor is there..I'll look again, thanks!
    Ya I don't know if that area 'fills' with oil or not...anyone???
    Burt

4. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The hole under the fuel pump mounting is for installing/removing the fuel pump push rod. The oil in the area is minimal, and would not be what I would consider an ideal location for a temp probe. You can probably find something on the side of the block, but usually oil temp probes go in the sump (i.e. welded fitting in the side of the pan, below oil level) as opposed to a pressurized area. If you do elect to go with a location that is pressurized, make sure the probe does not project into the galley so far as to restrict oil flow.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Dude! Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    I was thinking there may not be enough oil up in that corner /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    AutoMeter also says to install it in the oil pan /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    I didn't think about what you said on blocking or ristricting a passageway using an uknown hole /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Hmmmm, My pan is sealed already /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Maby i'll put a clock there instead of a oil temp, hahahaha
    Thanks
    Burt