Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bbc Questions***interchange***

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Jul 18, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

what parts off a small block will work on a big block? i have a 66' 396 that i am gonna drop into my truck but it is missing quite a few pieces. so what can i re-use from my small block? distributer, fuel pump, push rod for fuel pump, etc. any help would be great!

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

distributor will work, fuel pump I am unsure about, but I believe they are different. I seem to remember hearing that it will bolt up, but it wont operate properly. I run an electric, so cant say with certainty.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I think the BB pump lever is longer . Would have to look at one of Shawns BB's to remember . Been so long since I tore one down ( a 402 in 1992 , ate a bearing , still started and drove the dude home ) .

So basically just the distributor and carb .

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

bbc

Distributer, Motor mounts and not much more. Yes the pump arm is longer on a big block.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

some stuff fits..

The fuel pump from a small block WILL bolt on--but it will snap it in two in short order!--its just different enough so it wont work!--I learned this on a dark road the first day I got a truck with a 454 on the road! :doah: --after busting my butt to put the smallblock pump on,I got exactly 1 mile away before it died again,and now the pump was hanging by the hoses! :doah: :mad: ..I walked 3 miles home and got a universal electric fuel pump off my plow truck so I could limp it home!..

I think the pushrod for the fuel pumps are the same as a small block..the distributor is the same..your biggest dilema will be pulleys and brackets for the P/S and altenator...nothing from a small block will work right...you might have to buy aftermarket ones..pretty hard to find used ones anymore.. :crazy:

6. royjones

royjones Trucker upper Premium Member

parts interchange

hello dude the dist will work if the block is not a truck block its 400 thousands taller different intake and longer pushrods but steel good tq motor . Also i useed smallblock pullys on it but had to use 1/4 spacer on harmonic balencer :hack: