Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BBC rods... stock or???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Mar 5, 2007.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i took my block into the shop today along with my pistons and crank.

he can get me a set of 4340 I beam rods for $300, bushed for a floating pin, arp threw bolts. good for 700hp. i believe they are eagle, but not 100% sure.

i can get unknown brand 4340 H beam rods on ebay for just less the 300 shipped.

or my stock rods, pressed pin, stock bolts, he said they would hold up just fine for what i will have for hp.

ive been back and forth on weather to get new rods or use the stock ones. it would cost me $52 to hang the pistons and another $60-70 for arp bolts which i think i should do if i use the stock rods.

if i get the new rods it will push my project back at least 2 more weeks, which is fine, theres no way of making the trip i wanted to even now. the money doesn't roll in fast enough.

oh the decisions...:doah: :doah:

2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Expensive rods should not be necessary unless you're planning high rpm work 5500+RPM on a regular basis.

3. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

How much to redo your rods with arp bolts? If you not going to get to wild the stock rods will work but if you change the bolts have the big end resized.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Something to keep in mind, when changing rod bolts it is highly advised to resize the rods. Consider the cost of ARP bolts, labor to resize the rods, and the labor to install the new pistons and you will soon figure out it is best to buy new rods that are bushed. The only other thing to keep in mind is that you will now need to make sure whatever pistons you buy are capable of being floated (must have clip grooves and come with either spiro-locks or sir clips). Also check out Scat rods, their 4340 I beam rods are only about $275.00 last i checked the other day. Also get the rods that use cap screws versus bolts/nuts. These rods make it easier to build a stroker engine later if you so choose as most of them are clearanced for stroker applications.

5. 80' 427

80' 427 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am by far not the expert on trucks thats why I as questions here but BBC I do know a couple of things about. If you are limiting your hp range to below 6500 you can use a stock 3/8th rod I know guys that have taken them to 7600 where the pistons actually came apart. I am using 7/16 stock rods to 7000+ without any problems. On any performance rebuild I would use a arp rod bolt and of course resize the rod. If you want a step up use the 3/8 "truck Rod" these are from 366ts and 427ts they are stronger around the big end. I wouldn't be afraid to run the stock rods they are more than strong enough.

6. big83chevy4x4

most of what i do is above 4000 rpm, mud bog, mud drag, truck pulls, and playing on the dunes. i am getting a rev limiter, i over reved the sbc more than a few times with the stick.

i forgot all about resizing the rods when changing bolts. im not sure what they charge, but place i used to go to was $12 a rod.
    the pistons i have are KB hypereutectic, they have the spiro locks.

the rods they showed me had the threw bolts. tomorrow when i go to check out my block, ill ask them about the scat rods. i think im leaning toward the aftermarket i beam rods.

hell i seen a couple sets of stock "dimple" rods on ebay for $150, if i can sell mine for half that, it'll push me to go that way.

7. 80' 427

Your stock rods will stay together longer than the pistons will.

8. big83chevy4x4

what do you mean by that? my pistons won't handle much??

9. 80' 427

No they will be fine but if you are sure you have to spend money on better rods you should step up the pistons and if you have a cast crank that too. Its not that the stuff you have isn't good but if you are worried about the rods the rest needs to be changed as well. I know some seriously fast cars with stock rods. It may be just me but I have always been afraid of the cheap aftermarket rods. Most of them are chiniese and my local machine shop has had a few come appart on the dyno. My machine shop gets 80 to resize the rods and install new bolts that is how I would go. My big block has a set of srp (JE's cheap piston) 7/16 "dimple" rods with arp wavloc bolts and a forged 366t crank. This is all balance and has a 4 bolt studded bottom end. I did all this to allow it to rev to 7K. It should also handle a 250 shot of N2O with no problem. I am not suggesting you need to go that far and in fact I would say if you stay under 5500 I wouldn't be afraid to run the stock rods with the stock bolts.

10. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Stock 3/8s rods will be fine. Get ARPs, get them resized, get the whole rotating assembly balanced. I had a 468 with stock cast crank, 2 bolt block, stock small rods and KB pistons, made 540 or ponies, and had it 7k once with no problems. Didn't take long to get there either!! If your not running insane RPMs, or maintaining high RPMs, then the stock rods will be fine.

11. big83chevy4x4

i don't want to spend the money if i don't have to, but im not gonna be cheap either. some of the local guys gave me **** for running the stock rods in my 355 with everything esle that i spent money on. i just mentioned to the maching shop about the h beam on ebay and they suggested the I beam.

i will be taking the stock rods to the maching shop tomorrow.

thanks guys.

12. 80' 427

I could maybe see getting different rods for a sbc cause all of them are pretty cheap but I know lots of circle trackers that run 8k+ all night on stock rods so even then I wouldn't worry. Just cause you didn't throw money at your engine doesn't mean it isn't good. GM built that engine to take a lot and in most cases besides some good bolts they will take most anything you will need in a truck. Of course if you really push it you can break anything (at least thats what they tell me about my 10 bolts) but I think it takes alot to get there in a BBC.