Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BBC V-belt alternator - CS130 or CS144?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Jan 21, 2005.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I'm running a dead 12SI v belt. No s belt conversion is feasible right now. Anyone out there successfully run a CS130 or CS144 with a v belt on a BBC? I'm runnning a high mount passenger side bracket.

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Just swap out the pulley...running with the swapped pulley shouldn't be a problem,even with a BB.

As long as thing's line up your golden!

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I swapped out my 12SI for a v-belt CS144 on my 6.2 last year and haven't had any problems. I modified the stock bracket to work and installed a 4-guage wire between the alt. output and the battery.

You do have to keep the belt in good shape and tight to keep it from slipping under high load demands, but it's worked so far. I should be installing my winch later this winter which will be the big test for how well the v-belt will work with this alternator.

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Would you mind posting pictures of the alternator mounting on your 6.2?

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I need to get some pictures of it since you are not the first to ask. Here's a quick rundown.

The distance between the two mounting holes (lower and upper) is larger on the CS144. To compensate for this I shimmed up the upper bracket by placing several washers underneath where it bolts to the manifold. On the 6.2 this causes the bracket to hit the heater hose fitting (just a barbed hose fitting) that is on the front of the engine and runs over the bracket. I replaced the straight barbed fitting with a 45 degree fitting rotated up and then notched out the bracket. The adjustment slot also needs opened up as the CS144 uses a larger bolt than the 12SI.

The lower bracket/mounting needed no modifications. However there is a spacer tube that runs between the block and alternator, this is not a problem but the spacer also has a support arm on it that normally attaches to another mount hole on the 12SI but will not line up on the CS144. You can simply cut it off as it's not needed.

6. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Just ordered a CS144 with a V-Pulley from alternatorparts.com. It should arrive sometime next week. Hopefully I'll be able to fab the mods and snap a few pictures as well. I'm really hoping this is straightforward as I'm getting tired of replacing stuff on my truck. ;)

7. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Cancelled my order with alternatorparts.com. I'm headed to the junkyard this weekend to find a $35 CS144 to verify fit before spending $$$ on a custom built unit.

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Not a bad idea, but keep in mind you probably will not find a CS144 with a v-belt pulley in the junkyard. It's not hard to sway pulleys, but you will have to find the right one.

9. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I have an impact gun at home. I just have to figure out how to torque the pully onto the 144 without damaging the pulley or over torquing it.:)

10. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

:laugh:

Well, I could not find a CS144 in any of the local wrecking yards. I ended up getting a 120A 17SI alternator from beck arney instead ~$130 with a lifetime guarantee. The 17SI has a larger case similar to the CS144 so it puts out more current at idle. I'm able to maintain 14-14.5V consistently now even with all the accessories on.

I ended up having to modify the upper bracket similarly by slotting the bracket for an 8MM bolt and spacing the bracket up on the manifold.