Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BBC valve cover spacers??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russ, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know where I could find a set of approximately 1/2 to 3/4" valve cover spacers for a MK IV 454 engine that are reasonably priced? Or possibly a set of aftermarket valve covers that are not too tall to accept the factory brackets.

I have just finished assembling my 489 stroker motor and now my stock valve covers will not fit. I am using CompCams Pro Magnum roller rockers and the adjuster nuts are about 1/2" too tall. I plan to put this engine in my dually so would like to be able to run the air conditioner.
    Thanks,

Russ

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Russ - I don't know if there are any spacers made specifically for that but I would call Speed Unlimited in Pensacola and see if they can help.
    I had this very same problem when I had a roller BBC in my Crew cab - I just glued two ultra-thick Felpro valve cover gaskets together and did some light grinding on the end rocker bodies. The covers still cleared the A/C compresssor brackets. It worked great !
    Tom

3. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Thanks Tom, I will try calling them tomorrow and see what they have. I think I am going to have to have at least 1/2" to make it work so even with stacking gaskets I still won't be able to get the covers on.

Russ

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh with the covers Im running, I cant run thestock brackets. I just sweat it out, been thinking about reworking the brackets to make the compressor just mount higher, but just havent had time (yeh, 2 years and havent had time :rolleyes: )

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It will work if you get the ultra-thick gaskets and double up on them .
    Ask for John Boyden when you call Speed tomorrow and he will be knowledgeable enough to find you every gasket the aftermarket ever offered for a BBC ( he is the one who gave me the idea about ten years ago ).
    To make sure nothing leaks I would go to your local Toyota dealer and get a tube of their black silicone for engines part # 00102-00195 ( that might be an old number by now ). Trust me when I tell you this stuff is FANTASTIC and not what you get in the auto parts stores - IT WORKS !
    Ask John about the ULTRA-THICK gaskets - they are about 3/8" to 7/16" thick each .
    Tom

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

7. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

I saw those from Arizona Speed/Marine. Those are crazy expensive.

I may have to try the gasket trick, I did not realize the thick gaskets were that thick. Either that or get used to no A/C. I have been running the truck without air anyway, but was hoping to get it hooked up when I put the new engine in.
    Thanks,

Russ