Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BBC vs SBC clam shells (motor mounts)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Jun 24, 2005.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Any one have a good description/pictures of the differences between a BBC and SBC clam shell motor mount? I understand the BBC mounts are taller, so I'm wondering if I could use them on my BBC K5 to get the pan further from the xmember.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well the way I understand it is that originally equipt BBC chevys are 2wd and the engine mount set up is different and won't work in an orriginally equipt SBC 4x4 rig. Now you can mount a BBC to an SBC xmember with no changes needed. So with that I don't know if a BBC clamshell will mount to a SBC crossmember/frame horn???
    I would install ORD HP engine mounts then you won't have to worry about the BBC moving at all. The 1/4" or less clearance will be pleanty on a non moving BBC...

My .02c

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I could not get the stock BB mounts to go in my Blazer when I converted it from a SB. The bolt holes were different or something, cant remember and didnt feel like making it work. I ended up using stock SB mounts, and I kill them on everytime the first wheeling trip out.

They also have a Poly insert that is pretty cheap for the SB mounts. You grind the welds on the clam and open it up, swap out the rubber and weld it back together. I think they were like $20 or so. Not a bad deal and cheaper then a few mounts.

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Have the poly SBC shell inserts held up under the BBC?

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

They have been on the truck that I helped install them on now for a few years with no problems.

I need to get off my but, find them again and order a set.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The Auto Zone in my area carries them regularly. NOt an outrageous price either, just a thought. I got the insert polys for my S10, haven't installed them yet, install, the same way, cut the clam shell and all.

7. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I converted my '85 K30 from sbc to bbc. I used the original sbc mounts to install the bbc into the K30. No motor mount problems going on 15 years now. Easy swap. Original K30 sbc HD rad keeps everything cool even on hot days.