Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BB's in the tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Feb 12, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

BB\'s in the tires

OK, did some searching and would somebody please explain this bb in the tire sh!t to me? is this a joke.

2. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Re: BB\'s in the tires

I tried them on some 38's and they did work. The trick is figuring out how much to use. I put 12oz in each tire and I think that was too much. They balanced fine up to 65mph. Gotta love the maraca sound "swish" as you come to a stop /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> According to the guys on the PBB it works great. I'm doing something using the same principle, but I'm going to use mouse balls. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif</font color>

4. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

They also wear the rubber off the inside of your tires too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. cybrfire

The mouse balls is a hell of an idea. That is going to be tricky finding that many mouse balls. I don't understand how it works. It would seem like they would find the heavy spot of the tire and make it worse. Anybody know how it really works. My 44's came in today so need to figure out something. Thanks.

6. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i just got my 38's on and the guy who mounted them said he had this stuff that replaced "the equal" (which is like a powder). i guess it's like little bb's but there NOT metal, it would have cost me 35 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif to have that stuff tossed in. its 10$ per packet for each tire, 10oz i think?(i wish i had him do it /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif)

i've heard golf balls work to, but bb's sound like a better idea. i don't think they would wear out the inside of the tire /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, but if they did, that would be a bummer to find out on the road /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif..

what to you think about useing a liquid like antifreeze /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif it might do a better job of balancing and wouldn't be so loud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

"The mouse balls is a hell of an idea. That is going to be tricky finding that many mouse balls."

Yea and think of all the poor mice you'd have to catch and neuter, sounds like a lot of work. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if your still in high school finding that many mouse balls is easy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Due to the nature of my job it's real easy to find mouse balls. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have 120 so far, should be more than enough for 5 tires. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, the humanity! You know how many mice had to die for these balls?! I have about twice as many as this now.</font color>
    [​IMG]

10. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I use ATF in my driveline to balance it, so I don't see why it wouldn't do a similiar job in a tire?

11. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I have 4 golf balls in my tires and it balanced them perfectly for speeds over 35mph. they are only 36.5"s and its hard to find a place that will balance tires over 33"s /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. cybrfire

I am thinking of doing something similar. in a McMaster catalog they have rubber balls that are used for some type of cleaning. Anyway they have a durometer reading slightly softer than a tire so they shouldn't wear the tire down too much. Only problem with them is they aren't as heavy as mouse balls. I still would like somebody's theory as to how this balances the tire. Seems to me they would center where the tire is heaviest if you think of it from a centrifugal force standpoint. Anybody have a theory? Now if that aint a loaded question... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> There was a post on Pirate aboutthe theory behind it, a guy said that the physics of it definaltely backs up the theory, but he said it was pretty complicated so he didn't get into it. How's that for useless hearsay. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

From Pirate -

OK hybrid here it goes. basicly its a counter balance. as the tire spins a heavy side will begin to form (egg) or deform the tire. as this happens the centrifcal force of the faster spinning (weighted side) creates a slower region in the tire (non weighted side) the tire, tries to rotate around the section with the slower speed. This can't happens since the tire is fixed in the center. The egg shape forms in the tire. the weights will move to the slower speed area and even out the weight imbalance ( this is because all things seek a level ground against gravity). The tires gravity is controlled by centrifical force, centrifical force always has two axis's however its axsis will be radial in all aspects. with a perfect spin you have all X,Y radial axis points the same. with a deformed spin you will have dominate and non dominate axis.

This is exaserbated in balancing larger tires because the heavy are in the tire may be out of center. Or in more than one location.

Clear as Mud
    But I hope that helps. It's the best I can remember from Phisics.

Wait I didn't take Phisics, Just "junk yard" 101.

any weighted movable or flowing objects inside the tires will work to accomplish this. Golf Balls. Lead weights, Water, left over hot dogs, Cow chips, whatever.

Another one, referring specifically to Balance Masters, but should apply to anything inside the tire too -

How Balance Masters Works
    Balance Masters works on the basic principles of physics.

Vibrational Resonance is the up and down vibration pattern created by a rotating tire and wheel that is out of balance, forcing the fluid which is free-moving within the ring to positions along the ring, which exactly offset any light and heavy spots, thereby eliminating the vibration and creating equilibrium within the rotating mass. Once properly positioned, Centrifugal Force holds the fluid in that position unless a different vibrational resonance pattern develops from tire wear or from stones, mud or ice sticking to the tire or wheel, which instantly forces the fluid to its new equilibrium positions.

In short, Balance Masters precisely, continually, instantly and dynamically self-adjusts to tire and wheel imbalance because nature MUST have equilibrium, and natural forces will act on the counter-balancing fluid to eliminate vibrational resonance and disequilibrium.

However, when sudden braking or slowing occurs, the fluids continue to spin for several revolutions until they slow down to the wheel speed. Therefore, the fluid moving at high speed and weighing nearly 28 ounces per wheel whip around the ring at ten to fifteen revolutions per second. This weight, when pulled by gravity over the top of the wheel, "falls" over the front side of the wheel where the force is created which "pulls" the wheel down onto the pavement-JUST WHEN YOU NEED IT TO-on sudden braking over hard bumps or across sheets of water to create a road-hugging controlability and anti-sway, anti-drift and anti-trailer hop and bounce effect that amazes so many of our customers, especially the flammable and chemical haulers who religiously put balance masters on their trailer axles.

Balance Masters utilizes the natural forces created by 20,000 plus pounds of truck rolling down the highway to reduce vibration and create better handling in a very simple yet effective way. The physics were understood and put to work as early as 1908 by German scientists. American engineers perfected the idea in the late 1930's and early 1940's when they needed to find a way to perfectly, precisely and continuously balance a new-fangled invention...the jet turbine engine.

The Balance Master is a tested and proven device which works on long understood and basic engineering principles.

The major components of the balance masters are the ring and the fluid (mercury), both an integral part of what makes the balancer work. Both work in cooperation and are precisely proportioned in order for the physics to function properly.

</font color>

14. smalltowncowboy

smalltowncowboy 1/2 ton status

no BB's

a friend at work used this same idea to balance his 38's. instead of using the metal BB's cause they will wear down the inside of your tires, he used the soft pellets. the ones for the toy guns, they seem to work pretty well. i dont remember how many he put in each tire but i know it was quite a few.

15. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

wow talk about an old thread
    i have hear of using air soft pellets with good results

and an arsoft gun is a fire arm not a toy acording to a unc charlotte cop

16. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Yea...airsoft
    Right there on the can that the little plastic pellets come in it has their wieght written down. I think you can get .12 and .16 ounce pellets. So using that, you can divide 1oz / .16 = 6.25
    Now you know 6.25 of these ****ty little pellets equals 1 oz. Now get to counting cause it's gonna take a bunch of pellets to ballance those big meats.
    I personnally use the mettal stick on weights, marked the inside of the wheel (permanantly) where they go, and keep some spares in the tool box with all my other crap.

But the BBs would work....

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have done this to my chunked up 37s and the weight of an airsoft pellet is .12 GRAMS not oz. you can also get high density in either .2 gram or .25 gram? I have another post on here where I did the math and if I remeber it is about 28 grams per oz. I have the .2 gram pellets in mine and I have 2000 per tire. I can run 70-80 with no vibration at all it is as smooth as silk:D . Also they stay in suspension/orbit until about 3-5MPH.:D I also chose airsoft due to size and the fact that they are not metal and I feel they would disperse better than golf balls but it all comes down to personal preference. As far as stick on weights I cant use them cause I run 15s on a Dana 60 and only have about 1/16-1/8 of clearance between the caliper and the rim.

Ira

18. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Oh...Yea....I meant grams....my bust.

19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Just thought I would throw this in..........

I had a hard time trying to balance out the 265/75R16 Trxus MT's on my DD/towrig with external weights. A while back I installed about 4 oz. of regular BB's (metal, or whatever material they are) in these tires and it really helped.

Fast forward to last week and I dismounted two of these tires (they were ready to be replace due to tread wear). They probably had about 5,000 miles worth of driving with the BB's installed and showed absolutely no wear on either the inside of the tire or the BB's. The inside of the tire looked indentical to the two new tires I installed (same brand/size/etc..) and the small sticker that sits inside of these tires was still intact. The BB's were also spotless and looked identical to the new ones.

20. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I love it when people use the search function. A post from 03' helps people today.:wink1: :wink1: :wink1: