Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BDS 6" front spring problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sageman, May 28, 2003.

1. sageman

sageman Registered Member

BDS 6\" front spring problem?

Purchased some new ones for an '87 K5.
    Installed the first one and found that I had to angle the shackles to a 45 angle(toward the front of vehicle) to bolt them up!!!
    To me it seems like too much angle and this makes the "eye to eye" measurement too small!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Anyone come across this before? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: BDS 6\" front spring problem?

I know it's completely diiferent set up but the 12" springs on my yellow truck did the same thing I made some longer shackles It helped the angle a little bit I want to but the greaseable shackles from ORD as soon as funds allow

3. sageman

[ QUOTE ]
    I know it's completely diiferent set up but the 12" springs on my yellow truck did the same thing

[/ QUOTE ]
    Were they BDS springs?

4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No they were Superlift I was completely happy with them other wise /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. sageman

[ QUOTE ]
    No they were Superlift I was completely happy with them other wise /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ok, thanks!

Anyone else?????

6. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I have 6" BDS springs on the front of my truck, I did not experience the same condition as you have mentioned. Off the top of my head, I don't know the angle, but they look reasonable.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

45* is a little much, my 4" were more like 20* forward. But it's pretty typical of front GM lift springs. They do it so that on max compression you don't hammer the eye into the frame bend right behind the mount. I've always said that they should make the spring to work right, and sell longer shackles as needed. Probably a safety/liability issue though... Search back a ways, there have been several long discussions about how to correct this. Custom spring packs are an option. I've been trying different packs, so have Donovan, Twiz, and others. Stephen at ORD sells some (Greg72 for instance) that are a little longer and softer. You can also move the upper shackle mount forward.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Also don't forget you only have one installed. Put them both on and put the weight back on the truck and flex the springs a few times and they should settle in a bit.

9. BadDog

Good catch, I missed that...

10. sageman

I did spend some time taking to their support line... they gave me free standing dimensions and are in spec.
    So... the Engineer stated a common problem is over torqueing the fasteners which inhibit flex and also some restrictions involving the sway bar which I'm doing without.

Will continue installation and hope for the best flex one can get from a leaf sprung vehicle! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. BadDog

Did you talk to Rene? Cool guy and knows his stuff. Pat is his assistant (trainee, backup, something?) but Rene is who I talk to. Rene sent me a new front main leaf from some demo/proto pack for one of my attempts, but the arch was wrong for the rest of my leafs and it pointed the pinion down to about level. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif So, I didn't even get to test it... Once I get my doubler in with 1410s all around (no more front CV) I'll give the new packs a whirl... Hmmm, thanks for reminding me, I need to give Rene an update on where this is at...