Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BDS or Skyjacker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Jul 18, 2001.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, the time is here to get the lift for the '82 K30 I got from Shawn. I am looking at the 5.5" BDS and the 6" Skyjacker. I will be getting front and rear springs, no blocks.

Which brand should I get?

Where can I get these springs that will be the closest to my state? (I can get the Skyjackers from Rocky Mountain Suspension in Bayfield) And for the cheapest price too.

Anybody planning on checking out my homepage, forget it, I am still working on it!!!

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

UH...I dunno - I've always heard that Skyjacker and BDS are both excellent. Since they're close and cheap, I'd go with the Skyjacker.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

hey, you GOTTA get the BDS (because that's what I have) [​IMG]

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

4. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I have the BDS 4" and this that is OK, but i have the blocks in the rear

5. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

Go skyjacker...and I thought rocky mountain suspension was in NC? what telephone number do they have for you? Last time I called them the were still locted in little river, SC...go figure...north caroling telephone number, located in south carolina...with a western name...what's up with that?

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

6. BeyondReason

BeyondReason Registered Member

I just bought the skyjacker 8" system for my 79' GMC FROM THE FACTORY". You can't get any cheaper than that. Shipping is 25 dollars in the U.S. Plus if you have questions you have to call them anyway.

BeyondReason

7. BeyondReason

BeyondReason Registered Member

If you really want to see Skyjacker suspension doin' its thing go here. http://community.webshots.com/scrip...n=viewall&albumID=17542989[url] BeyondReason

8. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

I love my 4" skyjacker lift its got about 10,000 miles on it with no complaints. (front and rear springs).
    Happy Wheelin
    Butch
    ps it rides better than the factory springs

<font color=red>wink wink nudge nudge say no more say no more</font color=red>[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>See my truck at</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://sluggo45acp.rockcrawler.com>sluggo45acp.rockcrawler.com</a>

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I got a 4" Skyjacker. Front and Rear springs. It sits only 1/4" lower thatn my old 6" superlift. The Sky's really ride nice too. I believe that they also come with a no-sag guarantee as long as you own the truck. I love mine.

My.02,
    John

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy P/U 4x4 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD w/8.1L & Allison Auto

10. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=17542989>http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=17542989</a>

you forgot the / before url

<font color=purple>L8R..

chevy<font color=green>4x4</font color=green></font color=purple>

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Are you set on only those two as your choices? Cuz you can get Tuff Country from ORD and it ships from either Colorado or Utah.......pretty close to you. Have the 4" HD TC setup on my K5 front and rear sitting on top of YOUR 14 bolt and the D60, and after my road trip to the beach over 4th of July, I can vouch for the ride and comfort of the lift, even tho it is not EZ ride. Best darn riding K5 I have had.............out of 5 so I have had something to compare it to! Great pricing too, check with Stephen.

Happy belated Bday, ya big stud!

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</a>

12. solowookie

hey,

am I wrong or have you had a LOT of sky jacker lifts??? if so you might want to try to BDS so you can give us an idea of how the 2 compare. from what everybody here says the 2 lifts are sixes, and BDS has a better warranty (hands down the best in the industry).

13. thatK30guy

Yeah, I am currently running a 4" Skyjacker front and rear spring lift on the 85 K30. I know how Skyjacker rides and performs, but wanted to know what others say about BDS.

I have been leaning towards BDS, just to try them out. I just cant decide for sure yet.

Keep in mind, these trucks I have are not rock crawlers. Just all-purpose trucks. We have more mud and hills than anything else. I also want a good ride. I cant say my Skyjackers are a good ride because I never had any good luck with crappy shocks like the Rancho 5000's. The shocks I am planning for the 82 will have the Rancho 9000's so I can adjust them for the best ride and performance.

I will let this post drag on to see some more opinions about the springs. Just still checking to see if anyone says anything good about BDS.

Anybody planning on checking out my homepage, forget it, I am still working on it!!!

14. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I bought an 8" Skyjacker with all springs and the guy that I bou...........oh yeah, I bought that from Wes. hahaha You know what I'm going to say, so I won't even bother.

I like my SKYJACKER!

Pedal mashed and KICK'N ASS!
    WFO! Wide [censored]'n OPEN!

15. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

No pesonal experience with either for me, but I WILL be going with BDS, soon hopefully. I have heard nothing but good reviews from anyone I've talked to, about the BDS. I've called several shops who sell both Skyjacker and BDS, and I would say 95% of them say go with BDS hands down and the ones who didnt carry BDS said they wish they did. I have heard good about Skyjacker to, but I have also heard MANY complaints about how bad they sag over time. Like I said this is just what I've gotten from the people I've talked to, and I like doing things right the first time and being happy with it and I am convinced enough to go with BDS. Just my $.02 though.
    Oh yeah and I'm sure you've seen it but shawn did a review on he installation of BDS and he got them to REPLACE the Skyjackers and he says in his article the BDS www.bds-suspension.com they give a list of the shops that carry them in your state. You can even see a couple of CK5er's on the site! Capt. (Mikey) said he got them for cheap from a local shop and they will drop ship them too. Sorry this got long, guess I just got carried away!

16. thatK30guy

I emailed Shawn a couple weeks ago to ask him for his opinion. He told me to go with Alcan springs, but I can't afford those. He did say the BDS rode pretty good though.

Yeah, he did start out with Skyjackers and switched over to the BDS later. I may be leaning towards BDS if the price is right. I know how much I can get the Skyjackers for, but still have no clue what to pay for BDS.

17. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

That is what he told me to, the Alcans, but your right, $$$$$!
    Ok, I went diggin throught my MILLIONS of papers that I have all of my notes on from when I was "ready" to do my lift about 4 months ago [​IMG]. Anyways this is from a place that I checked and the cheapest I found around here, but I'll probably check into where Mikey got his too.
    For 4 springs, front box kit (u-bolts, bushings, etc.), rear box kit, steering arm, adj. drag link, it was going to be around $680. What will it cost you for the Skyjacker? I have more prices for other stuff like shocks and eye bolt kits, but you will probably get the 9000's and you can get the bolts anywhere.

18. thatK30guy

The Skyjackers I have quoted were going to be close to $800 after shipping and that was with the u-bolt kits and no steering corrections. The reason that price was high was the fact I need 56" long rear springs.

I am trying to get prices for just the springs. I don't like some of the aftermarket u-bolts on certain brands, so I have ITP make mine. The reason, I need custom lengths and aftermarket u-bolts for the D60 are not quite long enough when you use the 1" ORD zero-rates. So, I will be 'customizing' my lift. I plan on ORD greasable bushings and HD shackles, Rancho 9000's, limiting straps, ORD sway bar disconnects, ORD steering brace, and who knows what else!!! [​IMG]

19. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

If I remember I'll call that place tomorrow and get a price for ....'82 K30 (right?) 6" lift, springs only, right? And I will let you know what they say.

20. solowookie

I got my BDS stuff from th ,e same shop Capt did, and their web address is <a target="_blank" href=http://www.kens4x4inc.com/>http://www.kens4x4inc.com/</a>

they sold me the shocks too (bds), and I do NOT like them. (I'm assuming you already read those posts too capt said the same thing about his)