Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BDS... spring rates?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Apr 1, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I am pondering getting rid of my stiff-as-heck 4" Rancho "HD" front springs and replacing them with springs from BDS. I checked out the spring rate chart here on ck5 and didnt see bds springs listed... anyone have any numbers on them? If not, how about a comparison to other springs? (ie, "I had tough countrys and got BDSs... the BDSs are a little stiffer"...) info on spring rates appreciated! TIA!

j

2. DSJ

DSJ Registered Member

I am in the same spot you are, I have the stiff 4" rancho's and am looking to replace them VERY soon. Any help from everyone would be great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Spring rate 425 lbs/in.
    Free arch 4.75".
    (Oh, and that's a 4" front spring)

Those figures straight from BDS. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jekbrown

425 eh? cool beans. My ranchos seem like they are closer to 750 lbs/in sometimes. They dont even come with teflon or UHMWPE pads between leaves stock. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Its surprising to me though, that the BDS springs are stiffer than even the heavy-duty tough countrys (395 lbs/in). Hmmmmmm. I guess a little stiffer would be best for me... not having an anti-sway bar any more and all. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I thought that number sounded a little high when I first read it, but BDS must be doing something right because all I've heard is awesome things about how they ride and flex. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jekbrown

yepppers, the 425 is about 100 lbs softer than the ranchos on the spring rate list... and I think the type I have (HDs?) are even stiffer (they arent on the rate chart). One thing I'd like to get would be front springs that had the u-bracket + bolt things on them to hold the springs together rather than the folded over clamps that seem to promote binding of the leaves. I wish i could get the other type of clamp... maybe ones that had 2 sets of holes drilled in them... one for on-road where the bolt was right on the spring for stability etc... and one about and inch away that would really let the springs flex offroad.

j

7. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I was planning on running 6" Tuff Country EZ-Rides but I dont have a sway bar. How will it drive on the street
    because it should be much softer then the Superlift ones I have now. Later
    -fLeXy K20

8. jekbrown

without an anti-sway bar super-soft springs will definitely make taking corners exciting. lol! I dunno, my lift springs are just 4" so maybe soft springs wouldnt be so bad... 6-8 springs that had super soft spring rates may make it so that when driving on-road you have to take corners very slowly etc.

j

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know how BDS ride & flex compared to skyjackers?
    Also besides weight is there a advantage to rough springs?

10. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I had a pair of 6" Skyjacker Softrides, and they had the clamp with the bolt, and handled well without a swaybar. Good springs, although I am unsure how they compare to the BDS.

11. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was planning on running 6" Tuff Country EZ-Rides but I dont have a sway bar. How will it drive on the street
    -fLeXy K20

[/ QUOTE ] I have 6'' tuff country ez-rides (465 in lbs; very soft for a 6'' spring) with 5 1/4'' shackle (5/8'' lift) and no swaybar. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I wasn't having many handling issues with this setup other than this: with softer springs comes more wheel travel and with more wheel travel comes more bump steer. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I put x-over on my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and it pretty much eliminated that .

Now when I put the 57''s on the back with that frontend setup all I can say is that this thing has BODY ROLL OUT THE GOAT @$$!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Soft springs (front or rear) are tolerable /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifif you realize that your vehicle is not a race car and you drive it accordingly. They are so tolerable (for me) that I will soon be swapping in front springs with a spring rate just over 250 in lbs on my daily driver.

TC 4'' HD's are the best riding "off the shelf" springs that I have ever experienced (haven't even ridden on the ez-rides) and I would buy them in a heart beat if I wasn't up to the task of modifying hangers and such to run a spring not meant for my application or spending the $$$ on custom made springs.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    -fLeXy K20

[/ QUOTE ] Sway bars can be aquired at almost any salvage yard. Hell, I have one in my shed you can have if you want to pay the shipping on the damn thing. It came off my 76 K5.

13. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I have 4 inch BDS spring in the front of my truck with no sway bar, man is it flexy. I have not ramped the truck since i have removed the blocks from the rear and added bolt on Filps and longer shocks, but i am sure it will much better then before. The last time i did it i got a somthing in the 850 range, but the shocks where maxed-out and that was all that was stopping me. now no sway, 35 (past aired up 33), no blocks and longer shocks i think i will do better.

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

On my K5 I ran 4" Tuff Country's with no sway bar with crossover.........handled beautifully. No issues but they were the HD variety (not sure on the spring rate) due to the M12000 winch up front.

On the Burb I have the 6" Tuff Country EZ rides...........ran a couple of weeks without a sway bar and it still handled fine, no issues with squirrelly handling or too much sway.

TC springs from ORD are the best value out there. Love them, come with the lowest advertised spring rates, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif