Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BDS Suspension?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ncstate hale, Dec 9, 2002.

1. ncstate hale

ncstate hale Registered Member

ok i am swapping out my 4" Rough Country front springs and rear blocks b.c my truck rides way too rough for my liking. Anybody know the spring rates on the BDS Glide Ride? what are your opinions of thier lifts? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I saw that you go to state. I am a senior here at nc state. I just bought a 89 blazer, I was looking at bds suspension too, everything that I hear about them is good. Where do you go wheelin at? Where do you live at? Maybe we can get together and wheel sometime.

Trey

3. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

im in metcalf, im sure you have seen my K5 on campus, its the torch red with white top, 4" of lift and 33 BFG's, i havent found any good spots around raleigh, i was trying to get up with dawson444 so he could show me some of his spots, all ive found is construction site, but i really dont feel like getting the cops called on me /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif achuskies69 is my old name on here, but since i came to state i use ncstate hale, forgot i was signed in on this name /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Yeah I have seen it. Mine is a blue and white 89. It is mostly stock because I have only had it about a month. I put a 2" body lift on it and rhino lined the inside. It was wrecked in the front, so I also did a bunch of body work on it. I plan on putting a 14bff and d60 under it next. Let me know whenever you go wheeling, me and some buddies went to uwharrie this past weekend. I didn't get to wheel for very long because my blazer was acting up. I was thinking of going again this weekend, let me know if you want to go.

Trey

5. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I run the 5.5 BDS all-spring lift, and it rides a heck of a lot better than it did with a 4inch ProComp lift. It runs almost just as soft as it did with the stock suspension. BDS is the best bang for your buck suspension IMO. It also flexes great for an all spring set-up, I was able to rub the 37's in the rear DS fenderwell /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Hey Matt,
    Did you flip the overload springs on the rear of your K5? I am running the BDS 4" springs and the ORD 4" flip in the rear and it just doesn't seem to flex like it should. The rear spring pack is resting on the overloads just sitting there, so I thought about flipping it over.

7. jay web

jay web Registered Member

hey guys, sorry to interrupt this post, but on the 5.5 bds lift- are drive shaft mods needed? i would think so but not sure

8. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

DP--The overloads aren't flipped, though I have thought about it for better flex. For some reason the overloads like to more around a lot when I do flex, nothing serious just a half inch either way /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jay Web-- Driveshaft mods will be needed, I had to too when I lifted it four inches, and deff. when I installed the 5.5 becasue I added the lift and 1 ton axles. Also to keep the vibes away, I had a CV joint installed on the rear Driveshaft

9. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

BTW DP,
    It looks though you have great flex according to your aviator, is that pic with your 36's or 38's? I guess the overloads walk because there is no clamp on them, are clamps ever installed on overloads? The spring pin is at tight as I could get it when I installed the Zero-rates...hhhhhmmmmmm... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. ncstate hale

DP
    i saw your truck on the BDS website, how much money did you put into building those custom bumpers and rock sliders?

11. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Matt, I would check your u-bolts if your overloads are moving. The center pin really doesn't keep the spring pack tight, just together. The u-bolts should clamp those springs down hard enough that the overloads will not move. I think I torque mine to about 125 ft lbs. That picture is with the 36's. I noticed on some other pictures, I am getting a lot of body roll when the rear axle is flexing alone. That picture both the front and rear are flexing and kind of offsetting the body roll.

12. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

ncstate,
    The materials I have in those bumpers probably doesn't total more than $300. However, I have a lot of blood and sweat in them, let alone time away from the wife and kiddo. Oh, I did have to buy a mig welder, tube bender, cut off saw, blah, blah, and blah. Lots of $ in tools...

13. ncstate hale

yeah just wondering about the cost, im using my truck as a daily driver/offroad vehicle, and i dont want to mangle sheet metal just yet, but the bumpers ive checked into are running 600.00 ea. at least. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif