Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BDS vs. Tuff Country

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nico, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Nico

Nico Newbie

EZ Ride, Soft Ride, Glide Ride and so on...
    I`d like to get me a 4" suspension soon and im looking for a real smooth ride kit.
    I saw in the "Colorado K5 Technical" section
    Tuff Country got a very low spring rate. The BDS lift has got a good name too.
    Anybody got some experience?
    Thanx for help
    Nico
    Greetings to all from hamburg

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have not experienced the BDS yet. I'm getting the BDS for my K30 some day.

I have used the Tuff Country springs before and found them to be "ok". Not the greatest, IMO, but others seem to like them better than other brands.

My '85 K30 has 4" front and rear Skyjacker springs. I can't say they ride good or better than others because the shocks I have on it now suck. Rancho 5000 shocks make the ride crappy. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif If I had the funds, I would get adjustable Rancho 9000's.

For my other K30, I'm going with a 6" front and rear BDS springs and using the Rancho 9000 shocks for the best ride performance.

Many others on this site "swear" by BDS, while many others "swear" by Tuff Country.

I guess the only way to find out is to buy both brands and try them out. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

The TC EZ's aren't what everone on rock cracks them up to be. They flex grate but I know quite a few guys who have them and have had MAJOR sag issues. And none of those were big K5's either... one jeep, and one s10 on a blazer frame. Also didn't car for the body roll on some of the trucks I rode in with them. The TC HD springs are pretty stiff. I went through a lot of the same issues with lift springs when I was looking and chose a 5.5" BDS kit... absolutely awsome! Love em to death... just don't take the bds shocks... get some good 9000's, Blitz's, or SSV's.

4. Nico

Nico Newbie

I heared that some guys got problems with TC - EZ because it is to soft (front axle sagging) and when the HD is to stiff, than I guess BDS will be my choice (with RS 9000).
    (Here are only positive comments about BDS in the forum.)
    Thank you very much.
    Bye!
    Nico
    CUCV M1009 http://www.guido-koch.de/ellermann.html

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I'v had TC EZ rides for about three and a half years and I never had a sagging issue. I run without a swaybar and body roll is minimule. I have no complaints and as for the price you cant beat them.

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I was complaining a while back about my ez-rides sagging on one side on the front, but it turned out being the factory rear spring that was sagging. All I had to do was add another leaf to the factory pack and my ride was fine. I love my T-C's, they seem like they ride smoother than stock and actually haven't sagged at all. I jump my K5 A LOT so if they can stand up to that then they can stand up to anything! I also have rs9000's so you can stiffen up the ride when necessary.

7. ak7

ak7 Registered Member

Blazinaire,

For your T-C's were you running the 4" or 6" spring lift? I personally bought the 6" front springs with 4" shackle flip and 2" block for the rear. Nothing is installed yet but this this thread is getting my hopes up and down at the same time.

ak7

8. Blazinaire

I have the 6'' ez-rides on the front with 4 RS9000's mounted in the stock positions on the front, a 4'' shackle flip with 1 1/2'' blocks and 2 RS9000's mounted to my MOoffroad truss on the rear. The ez's flex really well, but as with any lift spring they could really benefit from a longer shackle so that they have room to flex further.

9. ak7

ak7 Registered Member

I have the longer ORD front shackles to go with my lift. I've also been pondering on what shocks to stuff in the front and rear and how many. I'm thinking about 2 in the front and 2 in the rear possibly using the new explorer procomp adjustables. What is that Mooffroad truss for the rear that you are talking about? Would it be worth it for me to look into that?

ak7

10. Blazinaire

The shocks are the one spot that I went wrong with my suspension. The RS9000's work great, but I used the ones that go in the factory locations. If I were you, I would go with some RS9012's and some F-250 shock towers. They cost the same as the 9112's and 9116's that I used, but are much longer. I personally don't like the idea of using a hollow shaft like the new adjustable ProComps, and I don't think that having one more position to adjust to will make any difference. Also I am using 4 shocks on the front because I jump my truck alot, otherwise I wouldn't need that many. As for the truss, I called Steve Frisbee of Missouri Offroad Outfitters and had him modify his existing truss' design to extend all the way out to my U-bolts and incorporate factory style shock mounts. You can see it on his web site. This was one of the best investment I made because I had a problem with snapping axles, NOT ANY MORE! If your wheels ever leave the ground I think that this truss is worth every penny.

11. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I had EZ ride(2.5") on my blazer, just put some rancho(4") in. EZ seemed to soft(just right for street driving) and the rancho are stiff as a brick in hell. <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showprofile.php?Cat=&amp;User=bigblue&amp;what=login>bigblue</a> has the BSD(6") and they seem to be just about right. send him a PM.

ARQ.

12. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i thought bigblue - jeremy had nationals ?