Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Be aware: adapter faces are not always flat, we were reminded....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stephen, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

So we finally dump tranny oil in my bro's buggy and it takes about 4 qts and starts dripping between the TH350 and the 203 adapter plate. Major bummer since dropping the 203/205 isn't just a bolt in with this chassis. When we took it apart, it turns out the back face of the trans was really warped and the adapter plate wasn't very flat either. This thing never really had a chance of sealing up.

Don't take this stuff for granted, throwing a straight edge on the mating surfaces would have told us all about this before we even put the gears in the boxes. Now the adapter is turned flat and the trans is hand filed flat and it's all good so far.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hand filed? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif sounds like lots of fun... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hand filed? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif sounds like lots of fun... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's a lost art. Once had a .25 auto come thru the store that had been made in China, with a file & not much else. Was really hard to tell until I took it apart.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Luckily it's alum. and a sharp file makes pretty quick work of it but regardless, it's the only way to work on the thing in the chassis.
    Just another pile of dog poo in the long walk of life.

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Just a note: Whenever I'm in the process of rebuilding, or just going through a used gearbox, case, tranny, whatever, I alway's run a file over every mating surface.

It's just that it's there, and it's peace of mind knowing that the mating surface's are true. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I’ve seen that happen before when you get two parts from different motors, if they had been from the same drive train they might of matched up. But it's good to hear a reminder once in awhile… /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif