Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Be careful when winching, therobzilla busted a stub shaft and U-joint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FWP, Dec 2, 2002.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

He winched himself up a wet waterfall just fine. Then pulled Marv up, no problem. I was next, then Bam, this happened while Rob was in reverse

[​IMG]

So be careful out there. Some of the other pics links are on the AZ Board, if you want to see em.....

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Hmmmm, D44/10 bolt, eh? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif </font color>

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hehee It's about time his luck ran out! I CAN'T BELIVE HE WENT TWO YEARS WIOUT BUSTING ONE!!!!!!!!
    He was busting them just about every other trail ride here.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

that is one sexy red X you got there...hubba hubba /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. FWP

FWP CRS

friggin "webshits". I'll have to put a copy on the CK5 member rides.....

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

ouch /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

From previous exp...leave an auto trans in neutral whilst winching....it tends to shorten the lifespan of the clutch packs....and if i member right bozo just put that trans in...

Azblazer

8. Grim-Reaper

He just put a Doubler in.
    Lets see if I'm right here. Rob had 20ft of cable out, Stalled the ramsey and then decided "I got a doubler" and tried to back up? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Hehehe Rob was here in Atlanta a couple weeks back and bragging on how he hasn't broke a shaft since he moved....I got to give him some grief about it LOL.

9. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Yep, I remember when I was tied to him, and he was trying to drag you off the stuck on the ledge on Fains Fjord. Blew the passenger side ujoint and stub then.

Depdog

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

although this axle break did occur, it was at the end of the trail on the last day.... so it didn't delay us any!.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Considering the fact that 3 of us wheeled hard for 3 days straight, then drove home... I was really pleased with the dependability of all of our trucks! We did some tuff stuff up there, and (altho it took more than 2 hrs) we got Fred's truck thru a REDICULOUSLY tight squeeze waterfall without any body damage /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif!!

This pic is my favorite... :

[​IMG] Look at how far forward my axle has moved! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif! And to think that when it stuffs, it hits the firewall...

Marv

11. Grim-Reaper

That last year before Rob moved he broke more axles than our whole club...COMBINED including all the jeeps with D35's and we have about 45-50 trucks in the club. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Grim,

Careful buckwheat /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, your treading on thin ice, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif! Marv is right, we wheeled the dog $hit out of the truck last weekend, and I mean some major trails, very rocky and very skinny trails. I think I had about 50 to 60 feet of cable out, and had the wheel cranked completely to the left, and then like you said decided to hit reverse in double low, and "BANG" broken stub shaft and brokend U Joint. Not bad considering I've been wheeling here for about 2 years with no axle breakage. Let me tell you, I took some very serious lines this last weekend /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and they were very off camber and high on the canyon walls, and nothing.

No biggie, I have a few shafts sitting around the house. Hey if this is the worst of my breakage, I'll be glad to repair.

I'g going to change my SIG to "Sheetmetal is over-rated".

Rob

13. Grim-Reaper

Heheheheh I was waiting for you to show up! hahaha
    You keeping track of the club list? The had Robin in a chair rolling around yesterday. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Might try to swing by this evening and check on her and Ralph. Supose to get a Ice storm tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. FWP

FWP CRS

It was tight, thanks you guys for putting up with me and my sheetmetal /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Every trip I go out more and more dents appear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I think eventually I just won't care any more, and I'll be fearless like you guys /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, while bowing, "I'm not worthy" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Here's the Pic Marv's refering to..
    [​IMG]
    That is a cool pic, those buggy springs make your front end do some amazing stuff sometimes /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

We're just messing w/ Rob because of his boasting /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif So Rob you ready to come back to the SE and start doing that on a regular basis? I need to visit you, I want to at lest get to ride on some of the trail out there. They just look too cool!