Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

[ beach boys ] Bad Vibrations { \beach boys ]

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DUKE, May 20, 2003.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

[ beach boys ] Bad Vibrations { \\beach boys ]

Hello all,
    Its been a while since I've had a problem, but this one might make up for it.

I've just moved from Durango colorado to Davenport Iowa, the drive went well loaded down 305, 35s and 3.11 gears and I still got a speeding ticket. Who woulda thought It could get over a hundred??? Anyway when I arrived I developed a squeek ( like a old spring ) from stop to the top of 1st gear. It went away after three days and now ive got a terrible shake in low rpms in 2nd ( 800-2000 rpm) The shake is hard and steady, and only when i am on the skinny peddle. Coasting with and without the clutch its as smooth as butter on a warm babbys rear. (sort of) I cant tell where its coming from and so far ive ruled out pinion angle and stearing. What do you think?

Guess what It was the u joint. the mother self distructed at 35 mph. All told not to bad. I will have to get on it tomorrow. at least i know what it was now.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: [ beach boys ] Bad Vibrations { \\beach boys ]

have you looked at the u-joints?

3. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

just ran out side, nothing out of the ordinary

4. mudhog

have someone step on the brake and put it in revers then drive fast keep doing that back and forth and if its the ujoints you should hear a clunking noise

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 2nd-gear-only isn't a good sign. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If it isn't doing it in other gears, then it's possible that the 700R4 is getting back at you for moving it to Iowa. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif What is your gear ratio? Was that 3.11 a typo for 4.11 or do you really have 3.08's? 3.08's and 35's can put a whuppin' on a 700R4, especially when loaded down (and crossing the Continental Divide!) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Iowa must be a complete shock to your system after living in Durango! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I do not have a 700r4 it is a manual 3spd with the low. i did type 3.11 that is what the glove box says and what the diffs are. It is the truth. ive driven it pretty hard and its always held up. i avearaged 10 trips over the divide a year. yes iowa is well flat compared to durango. Iowa, however, is much nicer than I ever espected.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sounds exactly liek wht I have going. I had a squeak(not sure with my exhaust I rarely hear it) and from say 35 till 45 in 2nd gear mine shakes real bad. I don't think its the gear as much as the speed cause mine does it at the same speeds in 3rd gear(I have enough power to actually do this vs your 305). And yeah they can get rip roaring, tahts the thing with those gears they can really get up in speeds. I replaced u joints today too! Also like yours its only when I am on the gas and puting power to it. It used to happen in 1st gear(not creeper the other first) but after u joint replacement today it only happens at those speeds I said. I tell you what, its a good way to figure out whats lose inside your truck! Need ot tighten my glovebox and put some weather stripping on that center console so the top doesn't shake /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Well it was the u joint. It desided it had to end its life while going 35mph. Sigh, the tough little guy served proudly. Anyway it was a pain in the rear, I am home now and deffinatly have a plan for tomorrow.

9. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    have someone step on the brake and put it in revers then drive fast keep doing that back and forth and if its the ujoints you should hear a clunking noise

[/ QUOTE ]

What the H E L L are you talking about? you wanted my to have someone press the break while i drive it as fast as I can in reverse? wacko

10. mudhog

no in the drive way have someone step on the brake shifting from reverse to drive and back to revers and then drive again in a fast manner and you would hear a clunk indicating a bad ujoint