Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bead locks ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James90, Aug 18, 2000.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

do any of guys use them? what size rims can you get them for and how much would something like that cost to get put on?

thamks

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You have to watch, I believe they are not DOT legal!

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

They are not D.O.T. approved for street use. Unless you air down alot you really don't need them.

4. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I think that you can get them for virutally any wheels, or make them yourself. There is not much to it, actually. They are totally illegal, though, and a savvy cop will come down hard on you for it. I imagine that it is a safety issue (I can't really figure it out), but either way it is a pretty fat ticket, from what I hear. Unless you go nuts on the Rubicon and run .78 psi or whatever, you don't need them. I personally think that a lot of the airing down thing is a myth. I have seen guys running recommended psi go up the same things as guys with virtual flats go up, myself included. Airing down can get you into a parking garage, though! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I thought about making bead locks on the inside of the rim so no one could see them very easily. Just an idea...

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Like this?
    http://www.tireloc.com
    I want some for my 16.5's but they want $850! Ouch!
    Would be legal though!

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Not exactly. I've seen those systems before, they're sort of like the beginnings of the run-flat system. I meant only putting the bead lock on the inside edge of the rim, facing the vehicle so you'd really have to be looking for it to notice it. How often do people go around peeking under vehicles to look at the insides of the tires?

Joe
    88 Jimmy

8. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Oh, ok.
    The reason why the tireloc system looks good for me is they offer a 16.5 wheel size which is great if I want to keep my 16.5 rims and get 38" or larger tires. The tireloc system should be legal since no one can see it and it protects both sides of the tire from loosing a bead. I think most bead locks protects just the outside. Here's some pros from their site:

The TIRELOC bead lock system has much better traction/grip compared to non low pressure tires (up to 50% according to tests by the Swedish army).
    The TIRELOC bead lock system offers no worry about the tire coming loose from the rim.
    The TIRELOC bead lock system accomplishes the goal without the need of expensive specially made rims.
    The TIRELOC bead lock system is easy to mount.
    The TIRELOC bead lock system is light weight.
    The TIRELOC bead lock system holds both inner and outer beads in place.
    The TIRELOC bead lock system works as a run-flat backup - you won't damage your rims if the tire would run flat, according to the liner's pressure, the tires take damage thou. TIRELOC does not recommend this use.
    The TIRELOC bead lock system makes the tires less sensitive to sharp rocks

I think Titanic runs this system. Maybe he could comment on this.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I am going to get a set of 15"X10" Black Beadlocks from Eaton with 8 lug pattern. I will let you know when I get them. They are around $145 each.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Take a look at the latest 4 Wheel Parts add in Peterson's or Four Wheeler, they have street legal bead locks from Rock Crawlers. Unfortunately they only sell 15's. The 15 x 10's are about $120 each. The only color they have is black but you could probably get others directly from Rock Crawlers, if they sell direct. Does anyone know if RC rims are any good? The black ones would look sweet on my rig once I get it painted.

Joe
    88 Jimmy

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Those street legal bead locks AREN'T. They ARE street legal, but they are fakey bead locks. They are made to LOOK like beadlocks but they don't do anything over and above a normal rim. They just give the apperance. 4Wheel Parts had to quit selling their actual rockcrawler beadlocks due to liability issues and too many people using them on the streets.

Kyle
    89K5

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

My understanding was that beadlocks were only illegal in some states.....but this just comes from some magazine articles. There are a couple of guys in our club with beadlocks and they have never mentioned any problems about not being street legal, but I guess that doesn't mean they are legal.
    Did 4 Wheel Parts actually stop selling them? I was thinking the latest magazines still had them listed but I don't see them on their webpage. Also, one of the mags did an article on them a while back and they sure looked like real beadlocks to both them and myself, though they maybe weren't the best quality ones. If they were actually "fake", I bet there were a lot of ticked off people.

As another note on running beadlocks on the INSIDE of the wheel, I think that pretty much defeats the purpose of having beadlocks since the outside edge is the one which almost always comes unbeaded and a beadlock on the inside won't do any good.

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

They were selling HONEST to goodnes REAL beadlocks for a while. Evidently they were getting alot of heat about people running them on the street so they started making their "streetlocks" These are just a regular rim with the ring and bolt heads welded on. They look real, but they aren't, therefor, no legality issues. I called to see if they had any of the REAL beadlocked wheels laying around that they hadn't sold that maybe I could buy out the backdoor with no recipt, they told me they would have no problems with that, except that they were so far backordered that they ended up just cancelling most of their orders. They couldn't make em fast enough, so when they quit selling, there was no stock to get rid of.

Kyle
    89K5

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Fake beadlocks.......how cheesy can you get? That's disappointing because I was considering getting a set since they seemed half way reasonably priced....and re-seating a 35" tire on the trail is not fun, trust me.
    Oh well, I guess I'll just get the fake ones, and to go along with them I'll put a "Supercharged 502 c.i." sticker on the fenders (LOL).

15. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I thought you'd need like a "<font color=red>Type R</font color=red>" sticker or maybe "<font color=red>V-Tech</font color=red>" or maybe a "<font color=red>Powered by Honda</font color=red>" You know these things REALLY help out your overall performance. Shoot, since you're running a 6.2, you might even want to go with the fakey "Cummings" logo on the side.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Don't forget about the fake "cross-drilled brake rotors" that go on between the wheels and the real brakes and some clear taillight lenses!

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Stop man, yer killing me. I can't take that kind of laughter. LOL!!!!!!!

BTW, While yer at it, either chrome every damn thing on the truck (steering wheel included) or just paint it all one color. And please, what ever you do, don't forget the big damn racing stripe that needs to go down the middle of your truck. I know I'm standing in line at the paint booth [​IMG] Hey, the good news is, you can slap 35" tires on your truck with no lift and it'll look just about right.

Kyle
    89K5