Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bead-Locks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Crash90K5, Mar 27, 2000.

1. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

OK, OK, I know now that I screwed up when buying wheels. Here's my problem: I bought 16.5" wheels (shoulda bought 16's) and nobody I've called will convert my standard beads to a bead-lock. They seem to only do 15". Call me crazy, but you would think that because the 15 is a better rim for retaining a bead, that they would offer the bead-lock for the 16.5 before the 15. Anyway, does anyone know of any shops on the West Coast (preferably somewhere near San Francisco) that does this kind of work? If not on the West Coast, anywhere in the US?
    Thanks,

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

you can convert regular rims into bead locks??....really, i did not know that. If you find some info out i'm interested as well.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

3. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

4. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

There is a guy here in Denver that converts regular rims to beadlocks. I don't think that he does 16.5 but he does 16. I stop by the over day to talk to him and the guy was super nice and showed me how they converted regular rims to beadlocks. They cut the lip off of the rim and weld in a flat ring that has nut inserts on it. Then there is a locking ring that looks like the lip the cut off. The tire goes between the flat plate and the lock rim and that is how the are held on. The company is Trudesign Wheel 800-621-6436 or 303-422-5090. BTW the make Avalanche Engineerings beadlocks.

Donovan

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Anyone know how hard it is to turn stock rims into beadlocks, or if it's possible at all? I would be doing the machining myself. (gotta love an engine lathe with a 10" swing!)

Joe
    88 Jimmy

6. Blade

Blade Registered Member

7. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

Yea, that's the first place I called. He implied that there's some political BS, and that they ONLY do 15" rims (not even 16"). The guy's answer was real short, and I decided I didn't want to get into it with him, so I said thanks for nothing... I have an e-mail into the Sierra Rock Crawlers, and hopefully someone is running 1-ton axles and 16.5" rims and bead locks, I'll repost when I hear back.

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I've read an artical in a magazine about this conversion for the rim to a bead lock system and they also mentioned that there is a tub style of bead lock that is a small tube that goes in your rim and you'll have to drill a hole for that valve steam. This tube puts pressure against the tire and holds it against the rim. The tire and rim looks stock but the extra valve stem is in the rim( yes you would have to valve stems).

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

9. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Here is another white trash modification that may work. It seems like I have seen this on a truck before. Check the attach, but I think a guy drilled his stock rim (close to the rim) and put short screws into the tire? If you were carefull it might work. Anybody???????? Ya, Im always looking for the FREE way.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>harder, faster, longer, stronger</font color=blue>

10. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

oooppppsssss, here the attachment.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>harder, faster, longer, stronger</font color=blue>

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Screws have been around for a while. Drag racers use them a lot. There was an post on the old board talking about it. Evidently some of the people were running them. You might call Summit or Jegs to see if they have them.

Kyle
    89K5

12. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

look at this site for a different approach to beadlocks-www.tireloc.com

13. Boggin' Blazer

Boggin' Blazer 1/2 ton status

Crash
    I run the moroso beadlock screws. 16 per tire. never had a prob. I can run my 44/19.5/16.5 boggers down to 5 psi with out a prob. I drilled the holes really close to the rim lip.I just made sure there was enuff room to screw it down flush. Jegs has there own brand of screws that even come with a drill bit too. Hope this helps.
    David

[​IMG]Drive it like you<font color=red>Stole</font color=red>it!!![​IMG]

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah one of the mags tested that system. said it worked pretty well. I noticed in one of the mags (I think it was Four Wheeler that just hit my mail box this week) that there is a US distributor for them (tireloc). It was a pretty short story so you will have to look for it. Looks pretty interesting and a lot cheaper than a tradition bead lock especialy if you toast a rim on a rock all you have to do is drill a hole in a new rim for the valve. It also locks the inner bead that most of the time because of clearance problems you can't do. It's sort of a variation of how the hummer rim bead lock works. On them the rim is 2 peice. When you assemble the tire and rim you insert a hard rubber donut that presses against the bead. For that matter a Hummer rim will bolt right on GM 8 lug axles. www.onthetrails.com that red Bronco there is a bud of mine and running D60 front and rear with hummer rims.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

15. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Distributer for TIRE-LOCK

JD's Off Road In Dedfore Hills NY is the exclusive U.S. Distributer of the Tire Lock bead locks.

www.jdsoffroad.com

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

16. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Re: Distributer for TIRE-LOCK

I've got the Tireloc set and I like them. If you decide to get some let me know and I'll give you some tips on the install the directions don't. Steve curet4wdc@aol.com

17. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Stockton wheel would be your best bet....they are about a mile from where i work and they are the best around...they are a bit pricey but u will the quality is great!

Chaz

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"